Tips app cannot be remove?

petererr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
That bloody tips app cannot be removed? Are you kidding me?

Last edited:

Medium Rare

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2011
Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
Do what a lot of people are doing. Get all your icons bouncing and then drag and drop all your useless apps into one folder and give it a title. And voila your screen is not cluttered up.

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Having all the apps baked into the OS is my biggest pain-point. Not because I want to delete all of them (some, like tips, yes), but because it then relies on a whole iOS update and downtime to apply updates.

If they were decoupled, then bug fixes/updates would be easier and hopefully more frequent.

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Having all the apps baked into the OS is my biggest pain-point. Not because I want to delete all of them (some, like tips, yes), but because it then relies on a whole iOS update and downtime to apply updates.

If they were decoupled, then bug fixes/updates would be easier and hopefully more frequent.

How does having them included in the OS have any effect on bug fixes and updates?

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
For the reasons I mentioned?

I don't see it? They can still update the apps without updating IOS.

We've gotten an 8.0,8.01,8.02, and now 8.1 within a month of the original 8.0. Not seeing how it's affecting anything.

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

We've gotten an 8.0,8.01,8.02, and now 8.1 within a month of the original 8.0. Not seeing how it's affecting anything.
And each time it's an iOS update that has to be applied, phone rebooted, and an iOS update would understandably take longer to bug-test and release than an individual app update due to having more fixes/changes included in it.

Some nasty app bugs have been around for a long time as we've had to wait for the next iOS update to be pushed out to fix them. If apps were decoupled you could just update from the app store for example, and hopefully more frequently.

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
And each time it's an iOS update that has to be applied, phone rebooted, and an iOS update would understandably take longer to bug-test and release than an individual app update due to having more fixes/changes included in it.

Some nasty app bugs have been around for a long time as we've had to wait for the next iOS update to be pushed out to fix them. If apps were decoupled you could just update from the app store for example, and hopefully more frequently.

I guess I'm still not following.

The bundles apps like Podcast, Pages, etc are still updated via App Store....just like before.

Sirious

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom

8.0, 8.01, 8.02 and 8.1 ARE iOS updates nonetheless. Your point is not valid: "They can still update the apps without updating IOS."

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

The bundles apps like Podcast, Pages, etc are still updated via App Store....just like before.
Not sure Podcasts gets updates through the App Store separately any more now that it's a native base iOS app.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Cool. Find a safari bug, fix a safari bug, download a new version of the safari app. Not wait much longer until it's fixed with a stack of other things in an iOS update.
I wonder how often the average user actually updates their iOS apps. I always see coworkers phones with a high badge count on the app store. What happens if they try to update iOS but its still using an older version safari that may not be compatible? Does Apple need to test each iOS released with older versions of Safari, Music, etc? I personally like how its all updated via a small iOS update. Keeps everything consistent and people on the same versions easier.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
At least we have small MB-sized OTA delta updates. Before iOS 6, if there was an update to just fix a critical Safari bug, you downloaded the ENTIRE GB file and waited the ages it took to install.

NeoX360

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2007
What happens if they try to update iOS but its still using an older version safari that may not be compatible? Does Apple need to test each iOS released with older versions of Safari, Music, etc?
Safari and all built-in apps are updated only with iOS updates. A person can't have an updated iOS and an older safari, music, etc.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I hope iOS 9 brings the ability for system/default apps and components to be updated independently of full iOS updates, much like what's been possible with Mac OS for years.

It'd also be nice to be able to hide apps from the Home Screen. Now that every app has its own listing in Settings (for Notifications, Privacy, etc.), it would be easy to just add a "Hide from Home Screen" toggle to that.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

wrong

Podcast, iBooks are built in apps now that cannot be removed and need an OS update to be updated. Pages on the other hand is an app you can install and can therefore be updated through the AppStore.