Tips app cannot be remove?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by petererr, Oct 17, 2014.

1. petererr, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

petererr macrumors member

petererr

That bloody tips app cannot be removed? Are you kidding me?

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

No kidding. Its baked in just like the Podcast app that I don't use.

3. Medium Rare macrumors regular

Medium Rare

Do what a lot of people are doing. Get all your icons bouncing and then drag and drop all your useless apps into one folder and give it a title. And voila your screen is not cluttered up.

4. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Having all the apps baked into the OS is my biggest pain-point. Not because I want to delete all of them (some, like tips, yes), but because it then relies on a whole iOS update and downtime to apply updates.

If they were decoupled, then bug fixes/updates would be easier and hopefully more frequent.

5. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

How does having them included in the OS have any effect on bug fixes and updates?

6. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

For the reasons I mentioned?

7. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

I don't see it? They can still update the apps without updating IOS.

We've gotten an 8.0,8.01,8.02, and now 8.1 within a month of the original 8.0. Not seeing how it's affecting anything.

8. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

And each time it's an iOS update that has to be applied, phone rebooted, and an iOS update would understandably take longer to bug-test and release than an individual app update due to having more fixes/changes included in it.

Some nasty app bugs have been around for a long time as we've had to wait for the next iOS update to be pushed out to fix them. If apps were decoupled you could just update from the app store for example, and hopefully more frequently.

9. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

I guess I'm still not following.

The bundles apps like Podcast, Pages, etc are still updated via App Store....just like before.

10. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Yeah I agree with that ... I'm talking about the baked-in apps, like mail, calendar, music safari etc etc etc

11. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

Gotcha, now I see what you're saying.

12. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Cool. Find a safari bug, fix a safari bug, download a new version of the safari app. Not wait much longer until it's fixed with a stack of other things in an iOS update.

13. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

8.0, 8.01, 8.02 and 8.1 ARE iOS updates nonetheless. Your point is not valid: "They can still update the apps without updating IOS."

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not sure Podcasts gets updates through the App Store separately any more now that it's a native base iOS app.

15. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I wonder how often the average user actually updates their iOS apps. I always see coworkers phones with a high badge count on the app store. What happens if they try to update iOS but its still using an older version safari that may not be compatible? Does Apple need to test each iOS released with older versions of Safari, Music, etc? I personally like how its all updated via a small iOS update. Keeps everything consistent and people on the same versions easier.

16. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

At least we have small MB-sized OTA delta updates. Before iOS 6, if there was an update to just fix a critical Safari bug, you downloaded the ENTIRE GB file and waited the ages it took to install.

17. NeoX360 macrumors member

Safari and all built-in apps are updated only with iOS updates. A person can't have an updated iOS and an older safari, music, etc.

18. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I hope iOS 9 brings the ability for system/default apps and components to be updated independently of full iOS updates, much like what's been possible with Mac OS for years.

It'd also be nice to be able to hide apps from the Home Screen. Now that every app has its own listing in Settings (for Notifications, Privacy, etc.), it would be easy to just add a "Hide from Home Screen" toggle to that.

19. bushido Suspended

bushido

wrong

Podcast, iBooks are built in apps now that cannot be removed and need an OS update to be updated. Pages on the other hand is an app you can install and can therefore be updated through the AppStore.

20. fotomarc macrumors regular

fotomarc

Tips app cannot be remove?

If you want a TIP turn it off in notifications!

Then drop it into a folder named Apple for Apps that won't delete and you rarely use!

Problem gone!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413620218.058086.jpg

21. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Wooooooosh