Tips for a new programmer?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by kzahid06, Apr 4, 2012.

1. kzahid06 macrumors member

My ultimate goal is to publish my own app in the appstore.

I want to learn how to program and I've decided to start with Python since it's easy.

What's the best book out there on Python? I want to learn it as quickly as possible, get comfortable with it, so I can eventually move up to Obj C

2. larswik macrumors 68000

Try starting with C. I picked up a good C book called "Learn C on the Mac" The first 75% was pretty easy and I created my own tutorials from the examples they had. If you learn at a pace that is good for you so it sinks in you will be fine. I first tried Object C but the concepts were to hard for me. After I got C down it was easier for me to step in to Object C.

So much of the code is identical from language to language like an IF statement. Syntax wise they might be slightly different for example.

Give that book a shot. I really liked it and it was easy to follow.

3. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

My tip would be to read up on and understand pointers. Many new programmers don't, as many newer languages don't use them, or discourage their use.

To get an app on the app store, i believe you'll need to use objective-C and cocoa.

Objective-C is a C dialect, and still uses pointers and manual (yes, there is ARC, but it is still new) memory management. Python will not give you any pointer experience.

Be aware that using a better algorithm will give you better gains that trying to optimize code that is using a poor algorithm.

Cocoa/Cocoa touch is a HUGE library. You'll also need a tutorial/book to help you learn xcode/IB - it takes a while to get your head around.

4. gr4nite macrumors newbie

I personally think you should start of with C, I recommend the book: The C Programming Language, Second Edition by Kernighan and Ritchie. Make sure you understand pointers and structs well. Also, go at a pace that allows you to understand the logic and syntax.

When that foundation is set, you are ready to get going with Obj-C/Cocoa. There are many good books out there, I prefer: Beginning iOS 5 Development: Exploring the iOS SDK.

I feel that learning any language will help with the acquisition of the next, but C will just set you up a bit more for Obj-C than Python would.

Either way, good luck.

Oh, and don't be afraid to try out a few IDEs before you settle: Xcode, Eclipse, Vim, etc.