Tips for a tourist in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Applespider, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'm going to Hong Kong at the end of this month for a week. I've never been to Asia before so I'm looking forward to it.

I've tagged a visit to the Peak and the Happy Valley Races as definites. What else would people suggest as a 'must do'?

Is it worth trying to go to Macau or Shenzhen?

Is it really worth buying electronics out there? I'm thinking potentially a camera or camcorder to update my current one. I've heard conflicting advice that the majority are knock-offs or that to get a decent one with an international guarantee, it's not going to be any cheaper.

I like arty farty craft stuff and bric-a-brac. Which markets would be best for doing that?

And any suggestions for great food or bars to hang out in? Not so much into the clubbing scene but a good bar is always fun.

And lastly, clothing during the first week of April? Will a light jacket do or will I need something heavier?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't think you'll need a jacket, but I guess it depends on the person. I don't think you need one.

Coming from the UK, shopping in HK is like shopping in America.....except with no sales tax at all. That's why there's no Duty Free. ;)

I don't know about camcorder stuff, but I'm guessing any Fortress or Citicall store is a good choice. It's a big chain. You may save a few quid elsewhere, but if the difference is £20 quid, I wouldn't bother shopping around.

I know the best "camera" stores. They may have camcorders as well. You could check the safest, and best, camera stores in HK, which are Wing Shing, and Man Shing. There are 2 Wing Shing stores in HK, and 1 Man Shing. They're both owned by the same owner. ;) You can't negotiate with them on price, but their selection, knowledge, and dependability is the best. All 3 stores are in Mongkok! No need to search around like mad.

http://www.wingshingphoto.com/

Tin Cheung is also a good palce to go, but they're a bit trickier to deal with. You need to be careful about whether the price they advertise is for the version with the HK warranty, or the one with the "international" warranty.

If you're going to look around, you may as well go to Lan Tau Island (literally: broken head island). They have the biggest bronze Buddha statue in the world, I think. I don't know. Um.....there's also HK Disney. ;)

Ocean Park may be a good place to go. I've never been there myself, which is odd.

If you want to shop, Causeway Bay is a good place. They have many many big shops you'll recognize, but also some small, out-of-the-way shops. If you want expensive shizzle, just take the ferry to HK Island. That area is full of Louis V shops and such. Tsim Sha Tsui (spelling?), or TST, is also a good place to shop, I guess. I don't know There are a few markets on the Kowloon side, but I don't remember them. I'm not a patient shopper, so I tend to not really focus in crappy markets and walk right through it. ;)

If you have any questions, just ask. I'll try to answer your questions. I've travelled a bit, and HK is one of the few places I have been to 4 times.

3. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I was born in HK, came to Canada when I was 8. I went back for the first time for vacation 21 years later last summer, so I can't tell you everything, but I know alot of stuff since some of my best friends currently work in HK and Shanghai.

Definitely go print out a subway "MTR" map before you go. If no one is picking you up from the airport, you will mostly likely take the MTR to your hotel as it pretty much takes you anywhere in HK. It's around $90 HK I believe, 23 minute ride, compared to over $300 for a taxi to central, it's alot faster if you go by MTR if you know where your hotel is.

- Skyline in HK, best to go to the kowloon side "Tsim Sha Tsui" looking towards HK. You will regret it if you dont got see this.
    You will see the buildings from the peaks too, but it's a different view all together.

- There is a mall in the IFC building if I recall, the tallest building in the above link, you should check that out. You should definitely check out SOGO and Times Square, they are not too far apart, even walking, there are so much to see in between. Here is a map of the shopping areas. SOGO and Times Square is in Causeway Bay. IFC is in Central. Check out Stanley too, it's like a flea market close to the beach and close to where rich people lives, but I dont know how to get there. :p

- As for bars, make sure you go to Lan Kwai Fong, it's where all the bars are located. I believe it's in central.

I wouldn't bother with Disney, but if you have time, go to Ocean park.

If you have time AND if someone familiar with Shenzhen, it's worth a look. DO NOT GO ALONE! I was pretty scared go to and I had 2 of my best friends with me. It's pretty rough over there, especially at night. As for Macau, it's worth it if you have time, but you can skip it since HK is more fun. :D They recently build a huge hotel there, go there if you are going to Macau and if you like gambling.

As for electronics, do not buy them in small stores as you never know if they are knock offs, if you see them in big chain stores and are cheaper, go ahead.

Alot of people can speak english in HK and there are a ton of British people living there. Ask the people who are nicely dressed, I know it's a stereotype, but that's how HK is.

That's all I can think of for now, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. You will have alot of fun. :)

Check out this link for more stuff.