Tips for applying an iPhone BSE? (Best Skin Ever)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Nutdotnet, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Nutdotnet macrumors member

So I'm getting ready to get the BSE on my phone and have a few questions.

I originally used a typical screen protector that came with my XtremeMac silicone case. It worked fine except it was notorios for getting little specs of dust underneath (between the protector and the touchscreen).

The instructions say use a combination of water and mild soap to lubricate the skin. Should I use distilled water to eliminate any potential mineral deposits? What's the best way to keep dust from getting trapped in on the skin?

How long should I keep it turn off before using it? I imagine the water solution needs to dry yes? My fear is sometimes I can't obviously control when the phone is going to stay on or off (since someone may call me).

Any tips would be great!

Thanks!

2. Samart macrumors newbie

I have this and it's great. Distilled water isn't necessary but you can use it if you like. Just use one drop of dishwashing liquid per ~2 cups of water. It will completely dry in ~2 hours. Here's a post that I tried to help someone else with.

http://http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=397165

3. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Apply in a steamy bathroom, as suggested by the manufacturer. This can be achieved by turning off any extractor fan and filling the bath with hot water. It worked for me. Somehow the steam takes care of floating dust particles which are more common than you might think.

A few hours was fine for me on 2 different iPhones.

It helps the application process to spray the BSE skin (not the iPhone) and your fingers liberally with the solution but take care when using a squeegee to push the water away from any ports.

Make sure the iPhone is switched off properly, not just asleep, and don't put it on charge during the drying out process because this will switch it on.

4. Nutdotnet thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

Is it possible to remove the skin and "re-try" after it's been on for a couple days? There were some micro-air bubbles that I didn't see until I had turned it on until the next day. I love the skin the bubbles are frustrating to all hell (they're on the screen).

Thanks!

5. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I don't think it is feasible to remove and re-apply after more than half an hour or so but small bubbles tend to disappear over the course of about a week.

What I would recommend very highly for your screen in any event is the Power Support Crystal Film. It is very clear (can't really tell that it's on), is much easier to apply, and can be removed and re-applied many times. It works on the static cling principle therefore no liquid or adhesive is involved.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/iphone_filmset.php

The Crystal Film screen protector and the BSE are the perfect combination!

6. Nutdotnet thread starter macrumors member

Cool, I'll look into that. Thanks!