Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcpursel

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
can i connect and file share through any common connection? (like firewire) or does it need to be ethernet? as i haven't had the need to do it before, i have never gone through the process.

i found the attached info on the web.

Attachments

• Setting Up a Mac Server.pdf
    65.8 KB · Views: 225

cometa

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
you can share internet through firewire, but as for filesharing, ethernet is the way to go. just set up a basic network and enable file sharing in "sharing" in "system preferences"

bcpursel

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
can i access all files and HD partitions, etc. from a filesharing setup, or are the two machines limited to sharing from one folder/drop box?

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
can i access all files and HD partitions, etc. from a filesharing setup, or are the two machines limited to sharing from one folder/drop box?

you'll have access to every drive if they are formatted correctly. My Sawtooth is packed with 4 drives (8 partitions) and I use it as an external via ethernet file sharing.

bcpursel

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
they are all formatted Journaled HFS+
how can i tell if they are formatted correctly?

so basically, all i have to do is connect the 2 machines via ethernet
system preferences > sharing > personal file sharing (checked)

and i will be able to see my G4 from my G5 like a mounted external HD?
copy and delete files, open documents from the G4, etc?

i also noticed another thread on this site. i guess if i had both machines hooked up to the internet, i'd be able to access the G4 via ftp or remote login? i don't think i'll end up going that route, but i was just curious.

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
J-HFS is fine,

on the G4, yes, turn on personal file sharing in the sharing preferences (see attached image). note the computer's name in the top (use a dash for spaces. after the two are connected via ethernet, from the G5 finder, hit command-K, type either "G4 computer's name.local".

connect to it using a the G4's admin's name and password

you should have read/write on almost everything. If not, since you're logged in to it as an admin, you can change permissions if you need to.

edit: Obviously the G4 will be headless. I like to run chicken of the VNC to control it remotely (i.e. use it as a fully functional computer, rendering etc. at the same time as a file server)

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 46
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.