Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silver Idaten

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2015
Stratford, CT
The black iPhone 6 uses a darker shade of metal around he protruding camera, so if it scratches you can really see the marks since they're bright silver. One day I noticed a giant blotch of silver on the rim.

It's purely cosmetic even though I have no clue how it got there. The camera's fine. I went to Apple to see if it could be replaced without replacing the entire phone, but they couldn't. I don't want to replace the whole thing, but I'm also not confident enough to take it apart and do it myself.

So the guy suggested jewelry polish. I could see that. Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how to re-darken the ring again? I know I can just let it be and it's 'character', but it does bug the **** out of me that my fiancé and friends with the same phone that bang it around have no scratches on their camera ring, while I try to be as careful as possible and have a large looking one.

Also, is it aluminum or stainless steel? That would help knowing too.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
As an alternative their are rings that can be bought from Amazon that affix around that part of the iPhone.

xymay

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2015
Buy a camera protective ring for your iPhone 6 on eBay or Amazon. A variety of colors are available, just choose one that matches your device to cover the scratches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.