Tips for keeping my Retina display scratch free - after my second display replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emporiky, Apr 29, 2016.

1. emporiky macrumors regular

Hi guys, tomorrow I am getting back my 15'' MacBook Pro after my second screen replacement in the last year and a half (fortunately both of them using Apple care).
    upload_2016-4-29_9-56-56.png
    What worries me is that no matter how careful I am with cleaning my screen it always gets these small scratches (visible only on sunlight). I am currently replacing the screen because of a couple of burnt pixels, but the real problem for me was that there were very strangely shaped rectangular scratches - almost as if they were caused by the screen being pushed too closely to the keyboard.

My question is - how do you clean/maintain you screen? I use the not-very-cheap iKlear kit, which does a good job, but it almost feels like the Retina displays are so scratch prone that it is impossible not to damage them.

P.S. I have to give credit to Apple customer service - absolutely amazing both times, had no issue in talking them to change the screens.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. Modernape macrumors regular

I have similar marks on my 13" rMBP, but they can't be seen at all when the display is on, so I ignore them. Maybe you could try that?

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I use a microfiber cloth and tap water, or a screen cleaning kit that I bought for $3. That works pretty well too. I don't pick it up one-handed: My thought is that the chassis itself flexes and can put excess pressure on the display pushing it into the keyboard.

How often do you clean your screen? I've had my 13" rMBP for a year now and I've cleaned the screen a total of three times. My screen looks great. I don't know if it has scratches that can be seen in bright light when only the display is off because I don't look at the display if it is off. I actually use the computer.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP wrote:
    "the real problem for me was that there were very strangely shaped rectangular scratches - almost as if they were caused by the screen being pushed too closely to the keyboard."

Solution:
    Don't push the screen too closely to the keyboard.

That's intended to be taken as a serious reply.

I'd be extra careful about how you "pack" the MacBook when you carry it around with you. You don't want any "pressure" against the outside of it when it's closed.

Actually, your comment:
    "...it almost feels like the Retina displays are so scratch prone that it is impossible not to damage them."
    ... is probably closer to the truth (regarding the retina displays) than it should be.

Rather than use a piece of protective glass over the surface of the display panel, Apple choose to use a very thin matte coating, of some kind.
    It seems that no matter how well cared for, at least some of these coatings start to flake and scratch after a while, and show impressions of the keyboard.

This is where "StainGate" came in -- Apple now replaces early retina screens with scratch-offs free of charge (even without AppleCare, I believe).

But the problem, I sense, is in the design of the display.
    They need more protection over it.
    The current anti-glare coating just ain't reliable enough...

6. emporiky thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys.
    I think that being extra careful with packing is the most reasonable solution. As for the cleaning itself - I will still likely use some sort of 'iKlear' solution, since the water where I leave (UK) is definitely not suitable for cleaning (for example if I leave water in my iron for longer, it starts leaving white marks of my shirts).

Another note on Apple care: except the screen, they changed my top case because it was clicking slightly... and with it the battery and the trackpad - I am absolutely blown away by their service :apple::rolleyes:

7. ArmCortexA8, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016

ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

UPDATE: My MBPR 15" screen was replaced under 6 months ago and already the issue is starting again. Apple have approved another screen replacement at no cost to me.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Ditto. A great combo to insure non-destruction. Key is to use MF cloths for screens only for that purpose so nothing gets embedded in them that might scratch the screen. Also keep clean MF cloths in a zip lock or other air tight container until use. After a wash inspect them for errand strings, lint, etc.

9. hojx macrumors 6502

hojx

I just use the black cloth that came with my MacBook Pro. For the worst fingerprint marks I've gotten so far I just add two drops of water and wipe and its perfect.

One of the things I refuse to do is to have that silicon keyboard protector thing. It makes the keys smushy when you type, it blocks the speaker (for 13" MBP, not mine) and it leaves a print on the screen.

10. emporiky thread starter macrumors regular

That's the thing - I am sure that if there is something wrong, they would replace it - but the whole concept that the screen coating won't last for more than an year just doesn't seem right.

I am considering to buy the iKlear travel kit, which includes wet and dry polishing cloths and clean it less often as T5BRICK suggested.

Attached Files:

11. robertk328 macrumors regular

robertk328

Agreed!
    Try this: http://www.radtech.com/products/screensavrz-macbook-pro-keyboard-cover

12. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

This is because silicon absorbs the oil in your skin and why the keyboard protectors have to be cleaned frequently depending on the use of the system. I even used TPU (Thermo Polyurethane) keyboard protectors and unlike silicon where you can wash it off, TPU holds all the oil even after using hand soap to clean it.

13. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I use microfibre cloth and a drop of water. Many screens later and never a scratch.

14. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

It's not a concept it's a reality and many people around the world are having this same issue - some on second screen replacements. This proves its a manufacturing defect and this does not occur on Macbook Airs due to no glass on the front and the bezel is aluminium. My research has indicated part of the issue is how the AR coating is applied - a process called phase deposition. Again this is visible on the black bezel left right and top of screen and so easy to see in light in any room. I don't touch the bezels and I always have a lint free cloth and this does not appear inside the bezels. As its a 15" MBP when the lid is closed the bezel cannot hit anything as there are speakers on the size - no keys so this confirms nothing is touch the screen to cause this.

What people seem to fail to realise is even when the lid is closed the keys do not touch the screen thanks to the gasket / rubber seal around the screen itself to create a gap which prevents the screen from touching the keys. I never use and will never use 3rd party screen products as these cannot prevent the AR coating from degrading over time and users should not have to do this. it's obviously a manufacturing defect and if I get to 3 screen replacements, Apple replace the whole computer.
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2016 ---
    What I've done since day one and this did not prevent the issue from occurring. In fact when the film breaks it seems to spread faster. People have to stop insinuating that the owner is causing these issues as its an accusation without proof and implies that everyone that has this issue has caused it themselves. Also explain to me if I clean in a horizontal fashion, how the marks appear vertically - must be David Copperfield. Fact is this is still an ongoing issue for myself and many other owners who follow Apple's cleaning info yet it still occurs.

15. emporiky thread starter macrumors regular

ArmCortexA8, while I am aware that the coating problem exists, I have actually never experienced it (knock on wood). In my case there were tiny scratches and barely noticeable marks - possibly an early stage of the coating issues starting to show up.
    I am wondering whether now that my screen has been changed for a second time, maybe Apple fixed the issues with the early retina screens (slightly changed the technology) and the new display will be slightly more resistant?

16. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

There's no insinuation that it's your cleaning method. Not all hardware is created and assembled equally. Sometimes it's just a defect in production, it happens.

17. monstruo macrumors regular

monstruo

I'm using Radtech ScreenSavrz as well.
    Have it since MBP days, it prevents keys from scratching and you could use it as a microfibre to clean your screen.

18. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

Tell that to all the MBP owners around the world that are having this issue.