Tips for making my extended airport network a bit more reliable?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by spaceballl, Jun 12, 2009.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hi all,

Right now I have a 500gb Time Capsule (single band) in one room being extended by an Airport Extreme (N-mode, single band) in another. If you were picturing a number line, the TC would be at 0, the AE would be at 5, and I sit at 10:).

So... the problem is that my internet connection isn't super reliable over here. I always have a full signal to the AE, but every now and then, my internet stops connecting. So in other words, the actual wifi signal itself is fine, it's the internet. So I keep my Airport Utility open to troubleshoot this, and I notice that when internet goes out, Airport Utility no longer shows the TC on the lefthand side where it lists the devices, leading me to believe that for a moment, the two lose connection of each other.

If I unplug the AE and put a laptop where it is, iStumbler reports over 60% signal strength (which is usually considered quite good!) so I don't think they are out of range... Hmmm just would love a couple ideas of things to try!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

are you using 2.4 or 5GHz?

2.4 can be interrupted by things like microwave ovens and cordless phones.

I have an express in my kitchen that joins my network, that i use only for airtunes. when i run the microwave, i loose the music.

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

2.4... Can't use 5ghz as i need to used mixed mode to accomodate the iphones and two older laptops.

Only thing is that if I turn off the AE, and I keep a laptop in its place, the connection NEVER dies - it's only when the two access points talk to each other.

4. TheCoupe macrumors member

Hi, have you ever considered switching round the airport extreme and the time capsule, therefore allowing the airport extreme to work in dual band mode, connecting the time capsule by 5Ghz N, and your other devices by 2.4Ghz N or vice versa? Although a Time Capsule is supposed to pretty much be an Airport Extreme with an internal drive, there have been issues with it in certain configurations with some people.

This is how I would set it up anyway, unless there is a specific reason for having them set up in your current configuration.

5. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Sorry I forgot to specify that neither of these two devices are dual-band. Otherwise, your suggestion would have been something i would have tried! Thanks for the feedback though.

6. TheCoupe macrumors member

Ah, that's ok, but I would still try putting the Airport Extreme as the main base and use the Time Capsule to extend your wireless range. Like I say, some have had issues with Time Capsule's wireless, so it wouldn't hurt trying, unless you've already done so.

7. TheCoupe macrumors member

on another note, you could try using 5Ghz as mentioned earlier and try connecting your devices via 802.11a rather than g, providing they support it.