Tips for Navigating the Genius Bar (pix)?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by adamjackson, Jan 20, 2012.

1. adamjackson macrumors 65816

I'm a former Retail Manager but that was back in 2005 so a lot has changed since then. I have a 64GB iPad 2 + 3G that I bought less than 6 months ago. Paid almost $900 for it. My girlfriend's father just died so we're rushing to get out the door and drive 12 hours down to deleware during a snow storm and the iPad slips out of my hands and onto our tile floor.

Photo:
    [​IMG]

I made an appointment for 3:30 at The Westfarms store in Connecticut. Basically, I can't afford a $900 iPad this week especially since we're 2-4 months away from a new model anyway so I'd basically just go without...oh dear god...my iPad for 4 months or until one comes out.

So, I need tips. How do I angle this? The iPad works GREAT except it needs a new screen but Apple doesn't replace screens, they just give out new units. I need tips on how to convince a genius / manager to hook me up.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Cross your fingers? Not really sure why you think someone will "hook you up." If they don't, they'll just be treating you like virtually every other customer that breaks their iPad and is forced to pay for a costly repair/replacement.

3. adamjackson thread starter macrumors 65816

That's fine I just assumed someone here would have some magic word advice. Trust me, I worked behind the bar for a year and, 7 years ago, it was case-by-case so I'm not expecting handouts, just curious if they offer replacements, what it would cost, could I schedule a battery replacement for $199 and they just replace the whole thing? Like if loopholes like that.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

You don't "schedule a battery replacement" unless the device falls under the battery replacement guidelines. For an in-warranty iPad the battery has to fall below 50% of its original life to even qualify (you can't just say 'I want a new battery.') And, more importantly, damaged iPads are ineligible.

"Note: Your iPad is not eligible for Battery Replacement Service if the product has been damaged, for example, as result of an accident, liquid contact, disassembly, unauthorized service or unauthorized modifications, or if the product is not operating correctly as a result of a component failure. Please review Apple's Repair Terms and Conditions for further details.

5. adamjackson thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay, that's what I needed to know. Thanks. I'll just go in and see what happens.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

7. adamjackson thread starter macrumors 65816

YEP! I was just coming here to confirm that. It's $200-$300 to have a third party repair it or $419 to get a brand new model (non-refurb) from apple. I took that option. iCloud had me setup in 10 minutes.