Tips for prepping for replacement iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Twinsbb17, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Twinsbb17 macrumors member

I am taking my iPhone 5 in to the AppleStore today because the power button is not working. I have my device synced to my computer and my phone has done a full back up to iCloud so I am not worried about the data.

I remember reading some time ago that some people were having iMessage issues with replacement phones where the old device would still be registered in the iMessage system and the new one is unable to sync with iMessage.

Has anyone done this or have any insight into how to prep my dying phone for this process? Thanks!

2. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Turn off iMessage and Find my iPhone before they replace and you're good to go my friend!

3. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

you wouldn't even have to turn off iMessage through settings just make sure to log out of iCloud. And even if you do not iOS 7 will still prompt you deactivate your phone before it erases all contacts and settings.

4. bushman4 macrumors 68000

First Back Up your IPhone. Next log out of iCloud Next reset all content and settings. General>Reset > reset all content and settings

This will bring your IPhone back to a factory state

5. Hustler1337 macrumors 65816

Hustler1337

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I like to manually unlink iMessages, FaceTime and find my iPhone just in case. While they may have fixed the bug for unlinking iMessages, each new iOS update runs the risk of introducing new bugs that can possibly affect this unlinking function.

7. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

It certainly doesn't hurt to sign out of iMessage on the old phone. However, you're not changing your phone number when you change phones. It's the phone number, not the specific phone, that's registered to iMessage.

People do have a potential issue if they're moving their phone number to a non-Apple phone (that's probably what you heard about). If the phone number is still registered with iMessage, texts sent to that number by people using iMessage will continue to go as iMessages, rather than SMS. Signing out of iMessage before retiring the iPhone normally resolves the issue. If it doesn't, call Apple.