Carrier Tips for selling unlimited data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NotJohnnyQuest, Apr 3, 2014.

1. NotJohnnyQuest macrumors member

So I'm ditching AT&T for T-Mobile and selling my grandfathered unlimited data plan for iPhone. Anyone here have any experience selling one of these on eBay or any tips for making the most money off of it?

I take it the transfer process is fairly simple? Do I just call AT&T and give them the information of the person the line is being transferred to?

2. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Last time I transferred an account both parties had to be in store with ID. Maybe that has changed since?

3. NotJohnnyQuest thread starter macrumors member

A lot of sellers on eBay suggest it can be done over the phone with both parties on the line

4. lordofthereef, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Howard's forums

I sold mine a few weeks ago. Went smoothly.

Didn't have to do anything over the phone. I needed the original personal full name and email address he had registered with AT&T (if they don;t have an account, then yes, you may need to do some over the phone).

There is a section when you log in to transfer billing responsibility. You enter that person's info, he receives an email, accepts everything, and you are done. They WILL NEED to get a new sim (or you can send your old one). I thought that was kind of stupid... the line was in his name but still active in my phone...

As far as pricing, it has dropped; unfortunately AT&T's unlimited data isn't really that great anymore now that they have introduced the 10GB share plan (and once you factor in throttling). There are lots of hopefuls on eBay still hoping for $300+ BIN. Most sell for about $200, maybe a little more. I sold mine for $150 as I wanted it to just be bought so we can sign up for new lines. After factoring in eBay fees (versus me not having to pay them) it worked out pretty well. You could maybe hold out for something between $200-$250, but then consider how long you might wait; this might put you into another monthly bill, which is money you could be saving by selling it for a bit less and hopping over to the new plan.

5. NotJohnnyQuest thread starter macrumors member

Huge thanks for the advice. A lot of people on eBay seem to be selling the plans for a lot more money; anywhere from $400 to $700. You think they're being overly optimistic? I've already had to pay for another month I didn't expect to unfortunately; so would like to recoup as much money as possible.

Nice to know the transfer process is apparently a breeze though.