Tips for speeding up your iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HasanDaddy, Mar 20, 2009.

1. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

hey folks!

My iPhone was LAGGING in the worst ways

It's working much much better now --- still some lag, but noticeably better - some tips -

1. RESTORE --- I did a full RESTORE of the iPhone and it certainly helped --- process probably took about 2 hours, so make sure you have some free time, but it was worth it ---- be sure to sync your phone full though, so it backs up

2. EMAIL ACCOUNTS ----- this one I had NO IDEA about, but before the restore, I probably had 10 email accounts on my iPhone --- after the restore, I deleted a bunch and just kept the 3 most important ones --- this made a GIGANTIC difference --- the more email accounts you have on your iPhone the more time it spends downloading emails --- if you have an unnecessary account on your iPhone, then get rid of it ---- just keep the essential ones

3. APPS --- less apps, better speed - simple enough

hope that helps ya'll!!!!

2. iPhAddict macrumors newbie

iPhAddict

I'm actually experiencing those annoying lagged times. Good thing I came across this thread. I didn't know that I could really do something about it. Thank for sharing. Will try this methods now. I hope to have positive effects on my iPhone. Thanks for this, great help.

3. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

i wasnt aware that the amount of apps you have effects the proformance.

4. csmilz9 macrumors newbie

Does the amount of songs you have affect the speed?

5. diemos macrumors 6502

Yea, not only having less emails make your phone faster but it saves battery life.

6. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

It doesn't affect performance. It's just a case of people finding what they're looking for.

7. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

Can only see that being true if you have the phone set to retrieve from all the mail accounts automatically, ie fetch turned on for all the accounts.

If you don't actually need to check al the accounts, then why not just set the lesser used ones to manual, and look them up once a day or so?

8. HasanDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

good idea - didn't think of it

9. SuperKat macrumors regular

Full Restore

Sorry, how do you do a full restore?
    Is that another thread somewhere?

10. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Just plug the device into your computer, open iTunes and on the first Summary page click Restore.

11. SuperKat macrumors regular

Thanks

Sorry, checked that out in iTunes and saw what you meant.
    Does that wipe out all apps and they have to be re-synced?
    How does having a lot of apps slow the phone down? Wouldn't it just be how many are running?
    Would something like the SaveMemory app be useful in speeding up an iPhone?

12. Resist macrumors 68030

Why would less apps speed things up? They aren't running in the background.

13. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

FreeMemory1.4, as well as MemoryInfow/Free Memory are essential applications.

Also, there are only two apps whose memory usage you can control, and should to keep optimal performance, Safari and iPod.

When done with music for a while, Force Quit the iPod app by holding down the Home Button until you return to the Home Screen. Pressing it once and letting go will not Force Quit.

Safari can be "quit" in a much easier way. When done with Safari, delete the open page by tapping the red X in the top left corner. Leave a blank white page. Then Tap the Home Button. By leaving a blank white page, Safari is closed and not running in the background.

Those two Apps ALONE free up 25+mb of memory, more than enough to keep the whole device stable and smooth.

Also, use the FreeMemory application to clear up memory from other apps, and maintain above 20 mb of free memory.

14. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

No but the springboard IS running. How many pages is it running? 2 by default? Some people push it up to 9 pages. Yes it has an affect.