Tips for Syncing Multiple Macs & PCs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adamjackson, Aug 22, 2009.

1. adamjackson macrumors 65816

I just wanted to add this as a topic and write what I've done but maybe you have some solutions that are better than mine.

I have a Dell Desktop PC at home (mostly for driving our television & various media).

I have a 17" MacBook Pro & a new MacBook Air. I wanted to keep files, folders, data in sync. Time Machine would work but my MacBook Pro has a very large drive so it won't all stay in sync.

MobileMe: I bought this for contacts, calendars and general simple syncing of things. I'm not happy with iDisk and Apple's Backup application so...

SugarSync: $49 dollars a year for 30Gbs of storage. Sugar Sync is installed on my iPhone, PC and both Apple computers. my 17" MBP is my primary machine so that's the host and all of my docs, desktop, downloads and some /Library/Application Support files are sent to their cloud servers. My PC & MacBook Air download those and upload changed files. The whole system works well and the first sync took about a day.

This isn't an advertisement but I did have to do this to keep everything in sync and effortlessly.

Do you guys have any tools that you use to sync your Macs and Windows machines without any effort at all?

2. tabakj macrumors newbie

I use *gasp* Windows Live Sync. It is completely free, syncs between my MBA, MBP, and Dell (Vista) desktop at work. I've only been using it for about 2 months, but (fingers crossed!) it has worked seamlessly so far.

One annoyance is that if I, for example, change the name of a folder, Windows Live Sync will delete the "old" folder from the other computers and then upload the "new" folder and all of its contents (which gets the job dine accurately, but wastes a lot of bandwidth vs. just changing the name of the folder on the destination computers).

3. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I just don't buy a PC so I don't have to sync my Macs and PC's!:D

Which backup app do you use- Backup or Time Machine? I was not happy with Backup- ever! I have yet to try Time Machine out- but I am setting up my new time capsule soon and will try it then. I have not used iDisk either- but I plan on using the time capsule to store many things and just don't have much use for iDisk. Perhaps you can find just an online storage solution and if Mobile Me syncs calendars, contacts, etc just fine for you you are all set.

good luck

4. adamjackson thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you for the tip! Free is better than $49 a year and I don't need their cloud storage. it's just getting things in sync across three computers.

Yeah I can understand how that would suck especially if it's a folder full of 10 gigabytes of software screencasts (that I need while traveling and a folder that changes locations often).

I'm going to give this a try. thanks!

5. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I have 3 Mac's, two of which Windows is installed as well. I also use Sugar Sync, for about 3 months now with no problems.

It's cross platform compatible so that's a good feature and with the MBA having a small Hard Drive you do have the control which folders you do and don't want to sync between the three machines. Also, fairly easy to set up and they email a lot of helpful tips.

But, if I didn't have to occasionally use Windows and ran all Mac OS I'd consider DropBrox it's popular with members here as well.

SugarSync is the best I've found so far. If you know of anything better please post .... I checked out Windows Live Sync... free or not wasn't for me, I want more storage and flexibility.

6. adamjackson thread starter macrumors 65816

yeah I see your point. I may stick with sugar sync but I'm in a 30 day free trial so once all of my stuff has synced with the cloud I might just stick with it.

It's only about 20 gigabytes of content I'm syncing (downloads, documents & desktop) across all three computers.

I think it'll be the best especially the iPhone app for browsing docs on the go. I find that very interesting.

7. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

I also use SugarSync to keep my files syncronized between my office's iMac and my home laptop PC.
    It also has the advantage to have an Internet storage that can be accessed whenever you are, to upload/download files.
    Ah, it also has an iPhone version.
    I'm subscribed to 10 Gb for 24.99/yr.