Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vrillusions

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio, US
I just got the one on my ipad (3rd gen) and figured I'd try to give some tips since when I did my ipad2 last year I was kinda nervous about the whole wet application process.

• First off, read the instructions the whole way through (it's not a lot of stuff) http://www.bestskinsever.com/application
  • I have a spray bottle with the measurements on the side so I had exactly 1/2 tsp of dawn soap (the blue color) in 20oz of water. I didn't have a 1/4tsp so doubled everything.
  • The camera shouldn't have a film over it. There was a small part where the film was still attached to the main sheet.
  • ANYTHING that does or may touch the skin should be covered with that solution. This includes the palm of your hands as it may come in contact with it while you are removing the backing.
  • For a squeegee I used one of those fake credit cards you always get in the mail. I had a clean edge but you can wrap it in a paper towel if worried. Douse it in the solution as well
  • Take your time. You can place and move it around for quite a while.
  • If it feels like it's sticking a little more than it should, take it off and rewet it.
  • A good anchor point is the camera hole. Line that up and then rotate and slide things around till the match up
  • Try to go around ports when you squeegee. For example by the speaker grill instead of squeegee down towards grill I did it to the left across the top of it
  • Only part that won't really stick down are the corners, this is fine. Try to get it in the general area and then try to leave a single piece hanging instead of a couple smaller bubbles (hard to really explain)
  • After an hour or so go back and carefully push those edges down. Remember at this point once it's down it's down it's generally down for good. You can spray some of the solution on your hand if you want. but the edge will have a harder time sticking.
  • Don't immediately turn it on. If you followed all the directions there shouldn't have been a lot of water everywhere but there could be some water left in various ports. That should dry within a day or so. You could wait a week from preordering it you can wait an extra day to make sure it's dry.
  • Don't worry about little bubbles and imperfections you see, those will get better over the next couple days. Took like a week for the ipad2 to look really good.

BTW those that are curious about the protection it goes all the way to the edge of the metal and wraps around the corners so it protects it really well.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
I put the front on had a little dust so picked the corner back off, now there's a heap of bubbles even after it a dried for 10 hours. Hopefully they go away in 23-48 hrs.

Just got home from work and stuck the back down. The corners are a pain in the ... It's late 3:30am but I'll wait for half hour and try to get the corners down, not confident.

Flying interstate tomorrow so hopefully it's dry enough to take

drkash

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
UK
Installed the BSE front and back a few days ago and think it looks great. Installation was easier then expected after following their instructions on the website. Definitely recommended

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Just installed mine and it came out great. There are plenty of good install videos on YouTube. One tip is to use a hair dryer for the corners so they dry quicker. Otherwise you will be holding them down for hours.

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
For the corners just come back to them after half an hour and you should be able to just press and hold for a minute or two and it'll stick.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
Well woke up and everything went pretty well. There still some bubbles and the very edge corner which unpicked off Is a little stretched but not that bad. Corners on the back stuck down pretty well

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
Had on ipad2 and will be installing on ipad3 as well. Corners could be hard, but after it dried, it's amazing.

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
I was thinking of getting one of these for the back. Never had one before. Can anyone comment on how it changes the feel of the back? Any pictures? Or can you even see it in pictures?

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
It makes the back perfectly grippy. It's awesome with a smart cover.

Installed my back (only) today. Was pretty much a nightmare. Took like 10 minutes of trying to get it right. Finally did but had liquid all over the device. It's drying now and I really hope I didn't trip any water sensors.

It's worth the trouble though.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
Still a few bubbles. My only tip is to wet the absolute crap out of it. Use a soft beach towel underneath it and use a t-shirt as you push the water and air bubbles out to soak up the water a you go. The more you get out the less bubbles you'll have at the end. Just don't get water in the holes!

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Thanks for the tips! Just did mine, and here are some thoughts:

• I used some non-linty paper towels to gently hold down the corners. The paper towels will soak up the liquid and help to apply even pressure around the round corner.
  • If you're worried about too much liquid affecting your iPad, as you squeegee, hold a paper towel at the end so the liquid is absorbed as soon as it exits the skin.
  • I placed a small stack of paper towels and the iPad face down on it so it gives me a few millimeters to apply pressure around the edges, rather than if the iPad was face down flush on the desk
  • I started squeegeeing at the center by the apple logo, and "anchored the center" by squeegeeing a middle strip. After making sure the center was bubble-free then I pushed the air bubbles outwards to the edges from the center.
  • My skin is a little "high" in that the edge by the 4G antenna sticks out a little bit and grabs if you run your hand over the top of the iPad. After aligning the camera hole, make sure that the top and bottom edges won't stick out too much.

Loving the results so far!

ton123

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
Successfully installed the back skin last night. I must say the corner of this skin is amazing! Much more precise, clean and discreet than other of this type.

My tip is to spray the skin till its dripping wet! makes it much easier to align.
Put layers of paper towel beneath the ipad so it will catch all the water you squeeze out.
Don't worry if you have some bubbles trap in the outline of the apple logo, it will go away overnight or 2.

Attachments

• DSCF0149.JPG
    DSCF0149.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 246
  • DSCF0150.JPG
    DSCF0150.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 244
  • DSCF0151.JPG
    DSCF0151.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCF0152.JPG
    DSCF0152.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
Just finished installing my, 15 min., the cut is very, very precise. In 48 hrs. my iPad 3 should be good to go :D

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
Successfully installed the back skin last night. I must say the corner of this skin is amazing! Much more precise, clean and discreet than other of this type.

My tip is to spray the skin till its dripping wet! makes it much easier to align.
Put layers of paper towel beneath the ipad so it will catch all the water you squeeze out.
Don't worry if you have some bubbles trap in the outline of the apple logo, it will go away overnight or 2.

nice pics. thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.