Tips/Format to Compress 3 hours of video to one DVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ShakeWellProd, Apr 12, 2008.

1. ShakeWellProd macrumors member

Hello,

My client created a talking head 15 Lesson DVD Series. He wants about 190 minutes on each DVD and compressed to watch easily on a TV set in 4x3.

I've tried every setting that compressor and Quicktime Conversion have to offer.

The first lesson is 74 minutes long and I'm trying to get it between 1-2 gigs, but man the video has too many artifacts.

I also have Sorenson Squeeze to use if you guys recommend that.

Is my client being cheap and asking too much to cram 3 hours onto one disc and make viewable?

Using Final Cut 5.1.4. and Sorenson 4.5

Does anyone have a formula to get that much video onto one dvd.

I recommended a dual layer DVD, but we have to wait till Monday to find out the cost difference.

Plus if you any other tips about "Burning" the final version to Toast to get a better picture that would be great.

Any help?

Thanks

2. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi,

There's not a way to get that amount of footage in that size to be quality viewing.

Unfortunately for your client, a dual layer is the way to go. But, the cost shouldn't be that prohibitive. From your end, it's not significantly more work....really just the cost of the disc. Either that and he pairs it down to include less time on each DVD resulting in maybe 25 DVDs, which is probably something he wouldn't to do.

I think it's a simple task of educating the client with some knowledge on how the DVD world works (but not too much as you might blow him away :) Clients have ideas, but they need to know how those ideas work within the digital world.

Cheers,
    Keebler

3. -DH macrumors 65816

Your client is being stupid. If the set has more discs in it, people may associate more value to it and therefore may even be willing to pay more money for it.

That aside, you can fit 180 minutes or more onto a single layer DVD (DVD 5), but the quality will be very low. it does help that it's a talking head type image throughout, since the quality of any movement will be hit the hardest.

You can encode in Compressor, but you'll need to modify one of the presets by lowering the bit rate. BE sure to use AC3 audio instead of AIFF/PCM audio.

Dual layer discs (DVD 9) start around $1.50 each and vary from vendor to vendor and by brand/burn speed.

-DH

4. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Dual layer discs are known for causing more trouble when trying to play them on standard DVD players (compared with single layer DVD-R or +R). Unless you control the playback device, I'd stay away from them.

Three hours on a single layer DVD for the type of footage you indicated might leave you with usable results, because it should be easy to compress - compared with, say, action scenes or pans/zooms. The more stable the picture is, the better your chances to compress three hours of it into the space you have available.

I'd say go with two single layer discs if you can talk the client into this route. If not, try the single layer disc. Use dual layer discs only as a last resort, and make sure your client understands the potential compatibility issues.

As DH already said, be sure to use AC3 stereo.

- Martin