tips in cleaning the trackpad effectively

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jefwayne, Jul 15, 2009.

1. jefwayne macrumors newbie

hi. i'm using the new MacBook white for a month or so already but i've gotten some pretty stubborn stains on the trackpad. after trying a combination of damp cloth and soap, i went to get an iKlear, which was recommended by the sales officer. however, iKlear doesn't seem to work at all. in fact, it actually made the stain spread all over the trackpad. i really need help in cleaning this stain. it's such an eyesore! :(

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

iKlear is gereat for cleaning my laptop and its screen, but I can see how it might not be effective on a dirty trackpad. The solution itself probably isn't the problem and is more likely the cloth you are using. I would suggest something a little grittier, maybe start with a regular paper towel and a hard(er) scrub, or the dark blue towel that comes with most iKlears. Then, maybe graduate to a regular old hand towel (maybe a clean one from the garage that would be a little rougher than normal, that would be similar to the cloths we use at work for counters, that I have used to clean the laptops here our of laziness and because nothing else is available).

You may need to use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser which many people swear by, but I don't know about its use on the trackpad.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

It's inevitable to get that blackish, circular stain on the white MB trackpad over time. I wash my hands before I use my machine, but I swear it just collects filth and grease (my hands do sweat a lot).

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Someone else mentioned on a different thread the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for getting the stains and smudges of places on the white macbook. I would advise against using it on the keyboard because essentially the Magic Eraser is a piece of sandpaper with microscopic abrasive material that helps clean off stains. This abrasive material is too small to scratch things but over time could start to rub the key letters off the keyboard if you use it a lot.

6. jefwayne thread starter macrumors newbie

i've tried rubbing iKlear lightly with the cloth that comes together with it but it's no good either. the sales officer actually told me to use toothpaste on my trackpad but i guess it will definitely damage it. i doubt i can find Mr. Clean Magic Eraser in my country. *sigh*

7. jefwayne thread starter macrumors newbie

the stain was initially BESIDE the trackpad. i used a damp cloth to scrub it off but the stain spread over to the trackpad. that's how i ended with the current trackpad.