Tips - moving AP3 library from managed to referenced

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by egis, Jun 10, 2014.

1. egis macrumors member

Hi all - as most of you know I have a 50gb lib in AP3 - it is managed. I have never had the inclination to move to referenced before 2014 when Apple (so far) has not updated AP. So, now I am hedging my bets and learning LR. With this in mind I looked at a few articles on the web about migrating lib's and reviewing the latest version of the AP User Guide.

I would like to learn about any particular things I need to be on the lookout for...I have searched the fourm and have not found a lot info on this. And btw, I will be using all the standard safety procedures like doing this from a backup, creating a new version of the AP3 lib, etc.

Any best practices are appreciated. Since I am planning on using the one converted lib for Aperture and LR, issues about XMP sidecars and other metadata maintenance and snyc problems I might be on the look out for... [​IMG]
    Thanks everyone!!

2. swordio777 macrumors 6502

My recommendation would be to keep the two separate.

A couple of years ago I moved from Lightroom 4 to Aperture. Rather than trying to reference my old files from inside Aperture, I still use Lightroom to view and manage those files. But now I import all my new photos into Aperture.

The advantage of this approach is that it's pretty much fail-safe. You won't mess up anything that currently works perfectly.

But if you're determined to have the files available to both apps, I'd do it a project at a time. Click the project, hit Cmd + A to select everything, then go to File > Relocate files and move them to their new home. Once you've done this, open lightroom & import that folder of images. Make sure everything works nicely in both apps before moving on to the next project.

Two final things:
    1) I would make sure your Lightroom edits are being saved to the catalog and not XMP sidecar files. I don't think this would confuse Aperture, but better to be safe than sorry.
    2) Never shoot or convert to DNG. Unlike normal raw files, DNG files can store your metadata edits (star ratings, coloured flags, etc). If you edit the metadata of a DNG in one app then open the same image in the other app, the info saved in the catalog wouldn't match the info saved in the file. I don't know what would happen, but it may upset one or both apps.

Good luck.