Tips on buying a newly released Macbook immediately?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Emergo, Mar 20, 2016.

  1. Emergo macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2016
    #1
    Hey guys, I plan to make the upcoming 12" macbook my first mac computer ever. Hopefully it does release or else im gonna try to find last year's 12" at a really discounted deal. Anyway, can you guys give me tips on how to go about buying a new macbook the first day it comes out? I dont want to have to find it being sold out for months. Would i have to pay more than i have to if i want it first? Does pre order cost extra? Or is it simple and i just walk in an apple store and theyll have it ready for me to purchase? Geez hopefully i wont have to camp outside a store or anything like that.

    Much appreciated.
     
  2. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2012
    Location:
    London, UK
    #2
    Well by looking at last year's launch, the rMB was announced in March, but was "available" in stores a month later. However as most people on here will tell you, it wasn't until around June where the rMB was readily available for people to walk into a store and purchase one.

    If there is an update tomorrow, then supply availability is anyone's guess. Apple could state that the rMB would be available a month from now, if not, then like other releases, it should be in stores a few days later, and on the online store almost immediately.
     
  3. Dydegu macrumors 6502a

    Dydegu

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2015
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    #3
    I can't speak from personal experience, but I've heard on numerous occasions that the Apple Store app is the way to go to get your hands on a new product as soon as it comes out.
     
  4. Emergo thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2016
    #4
    I dont have an iphone currently. But if i did, the moment of announcement is when i should open up that app? What time is the apple event tomorrow?
     
  5. boltjames macrumors 68040

    boltjames

    Joined:
    May 2, 2010
    #5
    With the exception of some minor products, Apple only makes new product announcements at these keynotes, they physically release the products 3-4 weeks later.

    Since you're looking for the 12" and since there are no rumors that they are being announced or even discussed at the keynote, if I were you I'd go into a store today and buy one or you'll be waiting quite a long time to jump in. And if you do the research, you'll find that if in the outside chance the 12" does get an upgrade it is going to be so slight you wouldn't really know the difference.

    BJ
     
  6. Emergo thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2016
    #6
    What do you mean by ill be waiting a long time to jump in? For the 2015 12" ? If theres no upgrade? Why? Wont they just already have stock of it?
     
  7. Gav2k macrumors G3

    Gav2k

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2009
    #7
    I had mine close to launch by ordering the moment that it went live on the Apple Store. I had to wait as I picked the 1.3/512 model. People ordering the base 1.1/256 had there's a lot sooner.

    If however apple manage to push to the stores for launch then you'll be stuck with the base model primarilary.
     
  8. duervo, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016

    duervo macrumors 68000

    duervo

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    #8
    There's not going to be any backlog of any refresh purchase attempts, if there is a refresh. It's usually new products that have a backlog, mainly because Apple tends to be a little conservative in their predictions of the possible demand (ie: Apple Watch, first iPad.) There also might be a slight chance of backlog for a product redesign, but those have usually been with products that involved a significant change in a major component of the redesign (ie: retina display manufacturing yields when they first came out.)

    "IF" there is a refresh of the rMB tomorrow, it won't be a redesign, and it won't be a new product announcement, so I don't think there will be any problem sourcing one on day of release. Personally, I think they'll stick a Skylake processor in it quietly sometime before WWDC, with little to no fanfare. All the hoopla will most likely be on this site. The rest of the world (Apple included) will go about their lives like it's just a normal day.
     
  9. boltjames macrumors 68040

    boltjames

    Joined:
    May 2, 2010
    #9
    You'll potentially be waiting a long time for a 2016. There are no hot rumors that it's being updated next week, the Pro is the one expected. The 2015 RMB's will be available.

    BJ
     
  10. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #10
    ... and that is so very true for so many of the things MacRumor folks get all in a tizzy over. :D
     
  11. Emergo thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2016
    #11
    Sigh.. im committed to waiting for the refresh of the 12" even if it doesnt come until June. Many say that if it was just a tiny bit upgraded, it would be the perfect machine. Ive just got to have discipline.
     
  12. deeddawg, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016

    deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #12
    Just to play Devil's Advocate: Why?

    What specifically about the current generation models does not fulfill the need you have that has you looking at it?

    I ask because your comment sounds suspiciously close to the common chasing-the-next-generation mixed up with letting-perfect-be-the-enemy-of-good.

    Just food for thought. I write this in the context of being able to buy a 2015 model at a substantial discount vs MSRP; 35% in the case of the 1.2/512 model I just bought. While I can easily return it if Apple announces something stupendous, if the upgrade is merely cpu / battery related it won't be worth a nearly $600 price difference to me. Of course if you're somewhere that the 2015 models are not discounted substantially, then it certainly makes sense to wait until after today's keynote; at which point the question becomes whether the value of whatever you think the new version will have outweighs to cost of not having one for that period of time.
     
  13. applesith macrumors 68030

    applesith

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Manhattan
    #13
    It's 99% likely to update today. Apple stores ran out of supply. I called several around NYC yesterday and they had little to none in stock. Plus the best buy sale.

    A refresh should not be nearly as scarce as the initial launch from last year. That was the first time they started shipping a new assembly. They are just updating the logic board this time. There may be a slight delay, but nothing like last year.
     
  14. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #14
    Interestingly, BestBuy is showing availability for shipping the 1.2/512 configurations but the 1.1/256 configs seem to be just limited to in-store stock.

    A logic board update, such as a processor change, would likely have already been in production for some period of time since it doesn't typically require retooling and it makes more sense to start filling the pipeline with new product in the days/weeks leading up to the announcement. I'd anticipate a very quick switch to new models at retail if that is what happens. A cpu change is a very minor update in terms of production line changes; very different thing from ramping a new production line and all the equipment/personnel/training complications that can arise.
     
  15. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

    Eggtastic

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Location:
    NJ
    #15

    I am on the fence as you are correct with this statement. I would rather have the most updated version, but you can't beat that $300 off price.
     
  16. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

    Buerkletucson

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2015
    #16
    $300 over an average (3) years of ownership makes it only an $8 up-charge per month for a new model.
    Assuming new release is priced the same....if lowered it's even a better deal.
    I plan on keeping mine longer than that.

    I'm waiting....
     
  17. Emergo thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2016
    #17
    Because if this new model has more than 1 port. Your $600 difference isnt really $600, but more like $500 with all the adaptors you have to buy.

    Thats my first thought, didnt really think too hard on it lol i may be wrong.

    But also, i dont think i can find a 35% off like you. Maybe a 10% off thats refurbished, but not new.
     
  18. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2012
    Location:
    London, UK
    #18
    Don't think there's going to be another USB-C port as there is no room for it on the other side where the headphone jack is. Unless they remove the headphone jack for a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter. But that would be seriously annoying IMO.
     
  19. Emergo thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2016
    #19
    Oh well that sucks..

    Moving onto my next excuse..

    Tiny improvements like shorter load speeds and ability to open more tabs?

    I have nothing else at the moment lol
     
  20. Jayderek macrumors 6502

    Jayderek

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2010
    Location:
    Madison, WI
    #20
    They're not going to remove the headphone jack until they've had a lot of time to explain WHY they're doing so. This won't happen until the September announcement of the new phones.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2016 ---
    LOL - Skylake isn't going to suddenly make the processor on these feel like the MacBook Pro models. This BB deal is really hard to beat, but we're only talking about waiting a few hours just to see. Good luck!
     
  21. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2012
    Location:
    London, UK
    #21
    This will pretty much be an update to skylake IMO. We will see maybe an extra hour battery life whilst doing certain tasks, slightly better speeds etc, the GPU improvements may warrant some nice FPS improvements, but tbh even if it is 50% better GPU, if you're getting 20FPS in a game, it's only going up to 30 FPS. My point being that the rMBs weak GPU performance isn't going to be amazing even with Skylake.

    My advice, if you can get a nice deal now where you save a few hundred pounds then snap it up, hopefully it also has the option of allowing you to return it within 7/14 days so you can upgrade to skylake if you really want to after the keynote.
     
  22. noobinator macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Location:
    Pasadena, CA
    #22
    The RMB 12 will most likely never get more ports. That would be going backwards. At some point it will be wireless charging only and bluetooth headphones. That's when this forum gets really fun!

    You want to hook anything up? Too bad! This is a portability monster. :)
     
  23. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #23
    You certainly have a valid viewpoint, don't misunderstand my position.

    Unless they change price, for me it was nearly a $600 difference after tax between MSRP and a BestBuy openbox with 10% discount coupon. Amortized out that's about $17 per month for a three year lifetime. This is on a 1.2/512 version.
    A lot of this depends on an individual's needs. I'm replacing a 2011 macbook air (1.7i5), and this is a secondary portable computer. I don't need heavy compute power for this, and I've never had to wait on the 2011 MBA. An additional bit of compute speed really won't add any value for *my* usage.

    Yet who knows, we'll see what they announce. I might change my mind; I have several days to return my rMB and get my money back if the new version seems worth the price difference.

    An additional port wouldn't much change my thoughts; about the only things I ever plugged into my MBA were the power adapter, camera SD cards when travelling, and the occasional USB item. Solved for $5 and $7. :D

    If it's an Apple refurb it's effectively new. I've bought several refurbs from Apple and never have had a problem; they've all been indistinguishable from brand new. Still, for only 10% difference I'd likely go with the new version.
     

Share This Page