Tips on buying "used" MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by miker2209, Dec 15, 2011.

1. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

Hi guys, I'm thinking about purchasing an old MBP 15 2010 model. I was just wondering what should i do before purchase to know that the machine has not been tampered with on the inside and what kinds of sign should i look for on a bad machine
    thanks !

2. balconycollapse macrumors regular

My advice? Buy your used MBP from Amazon. I recently sold my MBP 15" on there and it was nabbed for 900 in about 2 hours. So you have to be quick. But, as a long time seller on amazon of audio gear and long time buyer of all things used I think it's much safer then Craigslist or Ebay. Furthermore, refunds are allowed if you find it was a bad machine and I feel like they vet sellers a bit more not to mention payment is handled through Amazon. Get it shipped expedited and request insurance so it's handled carefully.

3. miker2209 thread starter macrumors regular

miker2209

Thanks for the advice,
    but i'm talking about having access to the machine, real life look and everything. Can even open up to check the inside if necessary.

4. HungryWolf macrumors newbie

If I had a MBP for sale, I definitely would not let a prospective buyer take it apart. Good luck on that one.

5. miker2209 thread starter macrumors regular

miker2209

Not as in taking the mainboard and such out, just the bottom case. Where i come from, buying used computer isn't just about the cosmetics.

6. HungryWolf macrumors newbie

Why not just buy a refurb from the Apple Store? A lot of times they are pretty close to the resale prices and you can get that state of mind of a one year warranty. It'll also save you the trouble of tracking down exactly what you're looking for in the used market.

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

I agree, although I've not gone through with a sale because the owner wouldn't let me test out RAM in the computer (apparently that was the only thing wrong, but I wasn't going to take the risk).

In response to the OP, you could always request to run the Apple Hardware test to make sure that the components were working properly.

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I agree.

----------

I bought mine refurb with no issues and love it. Dont regret it one bit and it was a pricey bitch.

9. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Apple refurbs also qualify for extended AppleCare, something I consider to be essential when it comes to portable Macs.

B&H Photo and the L.A. Computer Company tend to have the best deals on AppleCare.