Tips on dealing with glare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by auero, Feb 3, 2010.

1. auero macrumors 65816

I was used to sit in a dark room at night so this was never an issue but lately I like having at least one light on. The problem is that when I do that and try to read something on the screen like a CNN article for example, I keep seeing my reflection and find myself moving left and right.

I've tried to sit away from the light so its not directly behind me but sometimes that isn't always possible. I've also turned the brightness up to deal with it better but thats just a battery drain. My next macbook pro will surely be a matte screen as much as I love the black glass bezel. I used it for the first time at the Apple Store on a 17" and it was beautiful!

So how do you deal with glare?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I either tilt the screen back a little or ignore it. It's gotten to the point where I actually have to look for reflections now, although I guess I stare at a computer screen long enough every day to have learned to ignore.

3. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I've only ever had glare issues once, and that's when I went outside in the summer, with the sun behind me xD

I have two huge windows next to where my MBP sits, yet I have never had a single problem with glare, the sun even shines through them directly onto my MBP at times.

4. auero thread starter macrumors 65816

Perfect example, I'm at work (in an office) and the ceiling lights are reflecting. I can't escape! :(

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

If you have the lights right above you, the only thing you can do is tilt the screen. You could try one of those hoods, but that would probably look a bit silly. I have a 24" ACD next to my MBP with anti-glare screen. The colors on ACD looks fantastic, but I sure like the lack of any sort of reflections on my MBP. Can't have it all, I guess....

6. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

7. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I put an antiglare film on my iPod touch, and I don't really like it. Since there is a layer of glass between the matte layer and the LCD, it tends to make things a little blurry, and the reflections didn't really get better, they just got diffused. I am leaving it on, though, because it reduces finger prints, protects the screen, and makes the touchscreen feel more responsive (more predictable friction on the surface).

Now before anyone says this shows that glossy is better than matte, there is a big difference between a matte film and a matte LCD. On a matte LCD, the diffuse layer sits very close to the surface of the LCD panel, so there is essentially no blurring. Matte panels also do not have the glass layer that reflects light whether or not there is a film no top of it.

@Jaro65: you can't compare the color on an ACD, which has a good 8-bit IPS or similar panel, to the MBP, which has a 6-bit TN panel. The MBP panel is not bad compared to other laptops, but it is still a level below high-end displays like the ACD.

Interestingly, the iPad has an IPS panel. Maybe they can bring that to the MBPs.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_film_transistor_liquid_crystal_display#Types

8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

You're right, the screens are different. But that's as close as I can get to comparing my anti-glare MBP to a regular one. The colors on a regular MBP would definitely be more rich than on the one with an anti-glare screen. Anyway, it wasn't a very good comparison.

And I also hope that since Apple can put a nice IPS screen on an iPad that it is reaaaaaally about a time they use that screen technology with MBPs.

9. ttran88 macrumors regular

Hello,

You should check out iVisor by Moshi. I bought a regular anti-glare protector on ebay but it was tough putting it on since bubbles kept coming. The iVisor is very simple, its only sticky around the bezel. Took me a few seconds to install perfectly and the anti-glare works well. Check it on youtube for videos of it. I got mine for about 30 dollars. Pretty pricey but my screen is protected and i can see better in the light! :p

10. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

I just keep my screen really really clean, and then the reflection dont bother me at full brightness.