Tips on getting a replacment iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheCheapGeek, Dec 16, 2008.

1. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

OK i made a previous post and got no responses. My iPhone 3G is having some problems, I am going to be near an apple store this weekend and already made an appointment to see a genius on Friday. I want to know things to say and things to avoid to ease the chances of getting a replacement iPhone. Its not damaged by any fault of my own so i am not trying to cheat apple, I just don't want, or have time to send it in for replacement. Also i would like to avoid getting a refurb phone. Any tips guys?

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

bring $399 to an att or apple store for a new one

if they replace it, you will have a refurb

What problem are you having?

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

OKAY, THE FIRST THING WOULD BE TOOO

now that i got your attention.

Continuing on...

Tell us why it needs to be replaced?

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    be nice, polite, and honest. If you deserve a replacement it will come to you.

5. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

1. I wouldn't avoid getting a refurb... apples refurbs are top notch!! they go through a very detailed check process before they are allowed to be labelled a refurb.... I would rather get a refurb then a new phone straight from the same factory that has made so many defective ones...

2. Just be honest with them... if your honest with them they'll be cool with you... most apple stores will have replacement iphones on hand so you shouldn't have to wait for a replacement...

may I ask whats wrong with your phone?

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Only difference in this thread, is you got a few of us to post a response. The Mods will undoubtedly process your thread to the Wasteland... sorry:eek:

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

The reason you don't get responses on threads like this is because, no matter your true intentions, it reeks of scam.

This isn't rocket science, people. If something is legitimately wrong with your phone, something that you didn't cause, and you have gone through all the standard troubleshooting procedures (soft and hard resets as well as restores) then you take it to the store (or call Apple, depending on your location) and they will take care of you. 'Nuff said. There shouldn't need to be tips on getting standard (legit) warranty claims processed with a company like Apple.

P.S. nickspohn, please expedite the processing of your new map. k thx bai.

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I think he was driving really fast, and the iPhone fell out of the window...

His username gives me that hint. ;)

9. TheCheapGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

No this isn't a scam by any means. I just have never had any problems with any apple products and i want to be prepared when I go to the apple store. My phone will randomly switch from full 3g to no service and stay there indefinitely until i either reboot the phone or toggle airplane mode on and off. This is in an area where my wife's iPhone has constant signal and never receives no service. I have restored numerous times including a DFU restore and the problem persists. I never restore from a backup either. I clearly believe that something hardware related is wrong with the phone, i purchased on launch day.

10. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Then I'm sure that you will have no problem getting your phone replaced if it is acting up like that. :)

11. svndmvn Guest

pour some water in the jack and in the dock,keep it like that for something like an hour..go to the closest apple store, say it doesn't work, hoping it doesn't..
    oh,and bring 399/499$ with you.
    PS i'm joking

12. TheCheapGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome i guess i just needed some reassurance. Have there ban any build quality improvements since the launch or were all the issues just people complaining?

13. TheCheapGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

Man thanks for all the help...lol

14. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Not true...I had mine replaced last week and the new one had a build week of 47- the end of November.

;)

15. svndmvn Guest

but was it in a new box? shrinkwrapped and everything?
    I've had mine exchanged a few times and i've had the most various build week, there's really no way to know whether it's refurbished or new. I'm not even sure the build week can't be the one they "refurbished" it since it could be some sort of Frankenstein..

16. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I watched the genius tear the plastic off the box, and he handed the phone to me with the plastic still on it. Refurb or not, the phone is in mint condition.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Tell them it doesn't work; if you can't fix it, they'll give you a replacement.

And they now look out for tampering.

18. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Honestly, if this is your issue, I would reccomend going to AT&T and asking for a new SIM card before you go to Apple about it.

Reception issues -> Get new SIM first, go to Apple if problems persist
    Any other issues -> Go to Apple

19. kevo0822 macrumors regular

Hey there. I was actually having a problem very similar to this... my phone would just randomly go to "No Service" or "Invalid SIM" or "No SIM" at random points throughout the day. I went to Apple and they said that it was probably the SIM card (which would definitely make sense), so I went to AT&T and got a new SIM. Same problem. Went back to Apple a few days later and the Genius swapped my phone out almost immediately.

20. TheCheapGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats good news, i have tried using a new sim and that didnt solve the problem.