Tips on how to get the most editing potential from my Macbook?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Khryz, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I am purchasing the Hauppauge HD-PVR, to which I am going to use to record HD gameplay from my PS3 and edit via iMovie, to put videos on YouTube and whatnot.

Now my Macbookis 1.5 years old .. it's an Intel C2D 2.16 GHz with 3GB of usable RAM .. but the only limitation I see is the weak graphics card -- only 64mb. Whenever I watch HD videos on YouTube or other sites my computer gets load and my CPU starts getting pretty busy.

So my question is what can I do so that when I am editing HD videos and playing them back and back to view the edits my experience is as smooth as possible? Does the 3Gb of regular RAM help at all? Do I have to close all my other applications, widgets, etc and only have iMovie open?

I've edited high-quality SD video in iMovie that I captured via an EyeTV 250 Plus, but not HD.

THANKS!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Stop watching Flash videos while doing something processor intensive in OS X. It's not the video card. It's the crappy edition of Flash for OS X. Update to Flash 10 and see if that helps.

3. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay I upgraded to Flash 10 just now. So then if my graphics card doesn't limit me in being able to edit and watch HD videos then what does? Sorry for these noobish questions.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's all CPU bound stuff. If you're editing HD or watching just make that your single task.

5. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gotcha, thanks. So basically, the only way to make HD viewing and editing "easier" is to upgrade to a newer Mac with a faster CPU .. like a MBP with 2.66 GHz over my 2.16 GHz?

6. -DH macrumors 65816

If I'm not mistaken, the MacBook uses an integrated graphics card, which means it shares system RAM ... which makes it a rather weak performer in terms of video playback.

-DH

7. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I upgraded my RAM to 4GB (but only 3GB can be used because of the model). 3GB should be enough though right?

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Like I said before Flash, HD playback, and encoding are all CPU bound. You can do it via command line and it's still bound to how fast your processor is.