Tips on how to organise transfer specific files to new mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macgrl, Aug 26, 2011.

1. macgrl, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

macgrl macrumors 65816

I have just bought a MBA. I also have a Mbp. I have decided that it will be easier to just use the MBA as my main comp and not try to run the two together. I dont see the need and it will be a pain to sync them (iDisk is so slow)

I aim to have a spring clean and to only move over what I want from the
    Pro and ditch the rest

I don't want to do a big full transfer so just want to extract photo files that appear in iphoto and Songs etc in iTunes.

Do those pictures appear iphoto live in just one fOlder as in iphoto doesnt pull in and display pics from more than one folder I want to keep the dates etc and albums as they are.

Is the same for iTunes?

What are the right folders as I don't want to lose any / miss any

Any organisation tips much appreciated
    :)

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Are you going to move your entire photo library, and your entire iTunes library? If so, it's easy. Just move ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library and ~/Music/iTunes/ to the same locations on your new computer (in case you're not familiar with the designation, ~ represents your home folder). That contains the files and the associated data.

If you only want to move some over, then you have a few options. Probably the easiest, though not necessarily the fastest, would be to activate Sharing in iPhoto and Home Sharing in iTunes, and copy the files over the network within those programs. I believe they retain their metadata (even what's not contained within the files themselves, such as ratings and playcounts) when copied this way, though I could be wrong.

jW

3. macgrl, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for your reply. I want move all pics and iTunes over. When I put them on the same place on the new comp what happens to that new comps library file do I delete or will it say do you want to replace as the name is the same?

Is it ~/Music/iTunes/ library I move or ~/Music/iTunes/

Will moving thAt mean that all pics and songs move over? I don't want to leave any behind :)

I suppose what I am trying to ask is are all the pictures that I see in iphoto in the iphoto library and are all the songs, films and shows that i see in itunes in the itunes library so if I move both of those across I will have the exact same set up on my new mac:)

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yeah, move the entire ~/Music/iTunes folder, you'll want all of it's contents. If you haven't launched iTunes/iPhoto when you do that, there will be nothing there to replace, otherwise just have it overwrite the empty libraries that are there.

jW

5. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

thank you very much mal much appreciated,

i have some tv shows in a separate folder that i have now added into the tv show folder in iTunes. how do i make them show up in iTunes to play?:)