Tips on how to spread my idea all over the internet?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by killswitch1698, Oct 16, 2009.

1. killswitch1698 macrumors regular

Hey all.

I was just in my music class the other day and I was screwing around with garageband (I don't know how to play the piano) and I asked my teacher: "do you have any idea if there's such thing as a tab-like system for the piano"? She laughed and said "nope. there has never been such thing. but if i thought up a system like that i'd be a millionare"

So I thought for a while, and now i have this perfect planned out system for a piano tab. im not saying im going to be rich, but i would love to share this system with every musician out there so it might have a chance to become popular when learning music.

But thats where im stumped. I havn't the slightest idea of how or where to exploit this idea. If you guys have any suggestions, please speak up!

Thanks in advance. :cool:

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Before I could read sheet music I used to download and print piano tabs (96 or so). Also used to open midis in some old 1997 MIDI app that would display a piano roll (tab) and I'd print them off too.

Isn't there a piano roll in Garageband?

3. killswitch1698 thread starter macrumors regular

im not sure. the only thing ive seen is video piano lessons, but i mostly learn by ear.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Whenever I used to record songs I wanted to share I would use a Music Forum. Sputnik music is one (also known as the musiciansforums.com). Though I have to warn you it is filled with 13 year old punks.

As for a piano tab system, that sounds great though I am not sure how you can profit from it necessarily. It's not like anyone "owns" the guitar tab concept. But perhaps if you set up the tab system for piano and then made a program that converted sheet music to tabs would definitely be a good start!

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't understand how a tab system would work for a piano. On the guitar it only works because the strings are lined vertically and numbered, on a piano the "strings" are all in a straight flat line.

6. alecmcmahon macrumors regular

make a website, paint URL on giant rouge weather ballon with "suspected" 6 year old inside... Call media.

win.

7. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

If I start getting email at all hours of the day, claiming that I can learn to play the piano using some groundbreaking new technique... :p

With all due respect, the purist in me says don't turn the piano into the guitar (meaning: don't dumb it down with shortcuts to the learning process). Music theory is our friend.

8. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

9. killswitch1698 thread starter macrumors regular

That link sounds like a good idea to start sharing my idea.

It would be great to profit from this idea I have, but i really don't plan on it.

Back to idea i have...it seems to a few of you that the meaning "tab" has something to do with the guitar, but its definatly not. it will be a very similar layout to guitar tab; but im not going to put on a birds-eye view just to teach one how to play a song. that would obviously not be worth it. im still developing an example of this system, so by the next day or two i might post it on this thread for you to give me your honest opinion about it.

P.S someone said that i should consider talking to a publisher if i have this system fully developed? you think that would be a good idea?