tips on installing SGP protector

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bobright, Sep 24, 2012.

1. bobright macrumors 601

so does anybody got any tips on a easy install, avoiding lint underneath etc?

ive installled a cheap one off eBay before and ended up having a tiny speck of lint near the corner I could never get off...don't want that to happen with this new film

2. doctorandrew macrumors member

Go to any university chemistry lab, and use their positive pressure hoods. The positive pressure keeps dust out. Open the glass pane just enough to get your clean hands through and then apply the screen protector as per instructions. Wipe the bench down with soap and water after you finish.

3. JoshObra macrumors regular

Go inside bathroom, close the door and then have running hot water from either the shower or sink for a few minutes to make a fairly good nice hot mist.

That should let most of the dust settle.

I also have scotch tape handy to 1) lift the screen protector if I have to remove or fix the placement and to 2) remove any lint/dirt that is on the protector (just stick some tape on that lint and it'll come right off.

Done this with an iPad three different times and takes like around 20 minutes.

Worth it in the end though.

4. VinnyV macrumors member

Try searching for hinge method, if you want a real perfect fit , best method imo

5. JoshObra macrumors regular

+1 for hinge method. Never would've thought of that. Thanks!

6. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

It's rather simple. Don't need to go to all the extreme stuff people talked about above.

1) Wipe the screen as best as you can.
    2) Apply the screen protector.
    3) Press down and remove air bubbles.
    4) If you get any dust/dirt stuck underneath, it's an easy to fix. Use a piece of tape, stick it to the nearest corner and lift, slide another piece of tape underneath, press the tape against the screen protector to stick/remove the dust/dirt from the screen protector and repeat if need.

7. katai macrumors regular

^That's what I do. Instead of using scotch tape which isn't sticky enough. I used clear packaging tape and that really helps pick up dust under the protector.

8. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

Go into your bathroom close the door whack the heat up all the way and wait around 5 minutes then take your phone in and wipe down keep wiping for around 2 minutes more, then use one of the provided dust removal stickers, start randomly sticking it to the screen then wipe down one last time.

Now grab your screen protector and peel back around a third of the way, line up and lay down the protector. grab the squeege and push towards yourself as your continue to lay down the rest of the screen protector.

Wait a few minutes then peel off the other top layer and push out any remaining air bubbles.

Walk out the bathroom, wait a few minutes go back and enjoy your perfectly placed screen protector :cool:

[​IMG]
    SGP by Holmes093, on Flickr

9. NickRno77 macrumors regular

I agree with this method although I boil a kettle in the kitchen.

I haven't tried following method yet but http://m.youtube.com/user/larrygreenberg recommends this method
    Best screen shield install method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SApzkdepjIA

Makes sense to me to get the most accurate alignment.

10. VinnyV macrumors member

Ive always been wary of the vapour method, in my head im constantly worried of what will happen if the vapour got in and messes stuff up xD, obviously i dont think that really happens but still something im worried about :D

11. shebalord macrumors newbie

12. chele519 macrumors regular

I used this method last night and it worked great.

13. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Haha that seems like a good idea. I'm gonna give that a shot.

14. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks everybody, still waiting on my SGP as my iPhone screen is getting more greasy and oily by the day :mad:

15. Mark Scheuern macrumors member

I put mine on this morning using the hinge method. Worked great; I can't even tell it's there.