Tips on installing SSD in mid 2010 17"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lukester, Nov 22, 2012.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

I just ordered a Vertex 4 SSD 512 gig.
    I have a mid 2010 2.66 I7 17" MBP.
    Is there tips I should now about the setup to make sure its installed properly?
    I am using CCC to backup my original along with Winclone for my Bootcamp partition.
    any thoughts?

2. = bluntman = macrumors regular

3. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

I bought a 830 256K and it was delivered yesterday. I installed it in my 3 years old Sony i7 even though it was Sata 2. All I can say is WOW.

Mine came with Norton Ghost, but I had decided to just install from scratch, everything fresh. So I installed a clean copy of WIn 8, then reinstalled all the other apps. MS Office being the major one.

Seeing numbers over 200, which is expected, and Ill upgrade my new 2012 cMBP when I can find another deal on the Samsung drives.

My install on the SOny did use the included spacer.

Hooked up old drive via USB cable, transfered all data. DONE!

4. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info.

I just bought a case for $8 bucks and will probably use Time machine with my original drive since with the SSD you never know when it will bite the dust?

5. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

The whole point of the SSD is to put the operating system in it so you can get high speeds

6. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Some had random problems after cloning from HDD to SSD, clean install here + time machine backup is preferred I would say. Not sure about Bootcamp.