Tips on mounting airport extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eleite, Sep 26, 2012.

1. eleite macrumors regular

eleite

I just purchased an airport extreme today after doing a lot of research on different routers.

My question is, does anyone have tips on where to place the airport extreme? Primarily, I'm wondering whether I should mount it on the wall for better permeation throughout the house as opposed to on a desk (thus away from other electrical components)

I have a one story home, 2000sq ft and the AE will be placed near the center of the house.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Extreme'a antenna are designed or maximum range along the plane the device sits. Thus, if you want lateral range, put it rubber side down.

3. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I use the Air Mounts from H-Squared.
    They offer wall mounts and an adaptor to mount the AEBS horizontally on the wall rather than vertically.

4. davidoloan, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

davidoloan macrumors 6502

If you have plasterboard ceilings with a roofspace above it works well to put it in the roofspace.

This also makes it easy to run ethernet to Airport Express extenders also in the roofspace above any part of the house without having to go through walls. Or to easily run ethernet from the Airport Extreme to any room you need an ethernet cable in e.g. for a non wireless network printer.

5. mmomega, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I installed a Gigabit switch in the attic so that I could wire every room with CAT6, 2 outlets in most rooms and 3 AEBS now to give full strength inside and outside backyard/pool area. The AEBS with it's 3 ports isn't nearly enough for me but I do like it's simplicity and how rock solid they have been.

Back to the OP, placing one near the center of your home just above the ceiling like david said would work great. In our older 1900sq ft home I had 1 webs in the front most left side (where the office was) and I could still get good enough reception on the complete corner (bedroom) for most web browsing, I then added a 2nd AEBS in the living room and Wirelessly extended the signal, while that gave much better coverage it cut the speed almost by half. I have since added a 3rd AEBS in our new home (one story 2700sqft) in a triangular pattern and no matter where I go I have pretty much full internet speed (100Mbps).

Why all the AEBS instead of Airport Express? I have picked up 5 - 5th gen AEBS on ebay for arounnd $40-$50, half the price of an express.

6. eleite thread starter macrumors regular

eleite

Ugh, that hurts man. I just dropped $160 for a new one. I feel dupped. Great advice though everybody thank you very much.