Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Teach them that touching the screen results in harsh punishment. You may even want to refer to it as the "no-no" (or some other stupid term that clearly means "don't touch"). Eventually they'll get the idea.

Keep small, throwable items away from the desk (i.e. no pens or pencils in sight). These things seem to turn into projectiles when kids (and some adults) get mad.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Cheese said:
OK, I'll take a minute or 2... We started with an iMac G3, and Griffin was enjoying a freeware app called Bambini X, which is great because he can't do anything to crash the iMac while the App is running and it is interactive, but on a very primitive level. He killed the Pro mouse. We think he wanted to find out what the red light tastes like, since he was obsessed with touching and licking the L.E.D. on the bottom, and now it no longer works. Soon after getting the G5, we got a wireless mouse and it has a recharging dock, which we located out of easy reach for him. He just HAS to touch things on the screen, and wants to catch Curious George or Connie the Cow. Soemhow, he took a pencil to the screen recently. Although I was frantic about it, several cleanings with a microfiber cloth slightly moistened with clean water made the light pencil marks disappear. We do not allow him unsupervised access to the macs, but we know that the time is coming very soon when we will be taking greater pains to protect them. I leave both machines up and folding all the time, and they get a lot of use when we aren't sleeping.

Okay, so that was the scariest reply so far. I'm pretty sure Phiip isn't too old to enjoy a little LED licking, and he's definitely down to catch Curious George and write on just about anything. Glad you were able to get rid of those pencil marks!

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
EricNau said:
Teach them that touching the screen results in harsh punishment. You may even want to refer to it as the "no-no" (or some other stupid term that clearly means "don't touch"). Eventually they'll get the idea.

Keep small, throwable items away from the desk (i.e. no pens or pencils in sight). These things seem to turn into projectiles when kids (and some adults) get mad.

More good advice, thanks. Not easy to teach them that anything will result in harsh punishment, but will keep at it.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
If it is the 24" iMac you ordered, I would suggest removing the stand and lying it flat on the desk/floor, under a few inches of perspex - it is only a matter of time before one sibling decides squishing the other by pushing over the enormous slab is a fun idea, essentially reversing your initial question.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
amin said:
More good advice, thanks. Not easy to teach them that anything will result in harsh punishment, but will keep at it.
Some of the most effective punishment my boys respond to is removal of their computer privileges. The 5 year old had to go a week without touching the Mac during the summer for playing games beyond his allotted time limit and has been very responsive and responsible since. :p

B

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Allotriophagy said:
If it is the 24" iMac you ordered, I would suggest removing the stand and lying it flat on the desk/floor, under a few inches of perspex - it is only a matter of time before one sibling decides squishing the other by pushing over the enormous slab is a fun idea, essentially reversing your initial question.

No 24" anything is in our budget. I got the stock 2GHz 17" model. Still, your idea about lying it flat under perspex is well taken!

amin said:
No 24" anything is in our budget. I got the stock 2GHz 17" model. Still, your idea about lying it flat under perspex is well taken!

balamw said:
Some of the most effective punishment my boys respond to is removal of their computer privileges. The 5 year old had to go a week without touching the Mac during the summer for playing games beyond his allotted time limit and has been very responsive and responsible since. :p

B
That might work on Oliver (my older boy), but it is nearly impossible to make Philip understand he is being punished. He thinks everything is a joke!

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Someone on here posted a couple of weeks ago after his kid had taken a pen and pierced holes in his iMac's screen. The screen still worked but the plastic on the front of the panel had a couple of reasonably noticeable holes in it. The plastic is not replaceable on its own so a new panel would have been required to rectify the damage.

Get *something* to cover the front of the display. Do they do those scratch proof screens that you can get for iPods and MacBooks for the iMacs?

Also don't iMacs have a kensington lock like thing on the back? Chain the iMac as tight as you can to the desk. You might want to drill a hole in the wall behind the iMac, put in a strong metal loop and use a smallish bike lock type thing to lock the 'mac in place. That way it'll be safe(r) from burglers and if somehow one of your kids knocks it over (after growing a bit) then it won't fall very far, leaving you with an unsquashed child and an unshattered iMac.

That's a really cute pic you put up by the way!!

Edit: I found the thread I mentioned above: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/226780/

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
This doesn't help you when the computer is actually running, but if they're playing in the same room when the computer is off:

http://www.acmemade.com/imaccovers.html

I plan on getting one of those when I get my iMac and ACD and I won't even have kids for another ten years. The kids will actually probably get an old eMac I find on eBay. Heck, even the wife will probably not use my computer. I can't stand things not being just so. Like if she can't properly tag her music or uses LimeWire. Instant divorce. Heck, I'm 19, I still have time to dream that she won't own my existence and some things will be my way. :)

Daniel.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Spanky Deluxe said:
Someone on here posted a couple of weeks ago after his kid had taken a pen and pierced holes in his iMac's screen. The screen still worked but the plastic on the front of the panel had a couple of reasonably noticeable holes in it. The plastic is not replaceable on its own so a new panel would have been required to rectify the damage.
:eek: :(
Spanky Deluxe said:
Get *something* to cover the front of the display. Do they do those scratch proof screens that you can get for iPods and MacBooks for the iMacs?
I definitely plan to do so. I found a couple possibilities and am waiting to hear back whether they will fit this display.
Spanky Deluxe said:
Also don't iMacs have a kensington lock like thing on the back? Chain the iMac as tight as you can to the desk. You might want to drill a hole in the wall behind the iMac, put in a strong metal loop and use a smallish bike lock type thing to lock the 'mac in place. That way it'll be safe(r) from burglers and if somehow one of your kids knocks it over (after growing a bit) then it won't fall very far, leaving you with an unsquashed child and an unshattered iMac.
Great ideas there. I do have an extra Kensington lock, and will try to come up with something along those lines.
Spanky Deluxe said:
That's a really cute pic you put up by the way!!
Thanks!
Spanky Deluxe said:
Edit: I found the thread I mentioned above: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/226780/
I appreciate those images. Hopefully I won't be posting similar ones soon. Something tells my Apple Care won't cover that!

amin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
BurtonCCC said:
This doesn't help you when the computer is actually running, but if they're playing in the same room when the computer is off:

http://www.acmemade.com/imaccovers.html

I plan on getting one of those when I get my iMac and ACD and I won't even have kids for another ten years. The kids will actually probably get an old eMac I find on eBay. Heck, even the wife will probably not use my computer. I can't stand things not being just so. Like if she can't properly tag her music or uses LimeWire. Instant divorce. Heck, I'm 19, I still have time to dream that she won't own my existence and some things will be my way. :)

Daniel.

Thanks for the link to the covers Daniel. Don't even ponder issues of marriage at 19. My advice, take it sloooow :).

erikamsterdam

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2006
amsterdam
What comes to my mind is: buy a Mac mini, that you can screw to the desk with aluminium strips over it. And get a good oldfashioned CRT monitor that is pen(cil) resistant and heavy. Almost nothing to destroy then, and a CRT monitor is only $100 to replace.

Hytower77

macrumors regular
I've heard bear traps work pretty good.

I haven't run into any problems yet with my 3 year old. I'm just now getting ready to let her mess with it on her own. I plan on doing that in a weekend or so, getting her to learn about the mouse etc. She likes the mouse...those damn red lights!!!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Hytower77 said:
Oh yeah...they will love Photo Booth as much as anything they play now...that's all I hear when the squiddo comes into the computer room with me.
Amen. They love taking silly pictures of themselves, their toys, etc...

On the iBook it was all about iPhoto.... (Show me pictures!).

B

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
This thread doesn't apply just to youngsters. This week our middle school is back in session, so the iMacs I maintain are once again subject to abuse by 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. In our case, we have three choices:

1. Teach respect for the equipment.

2. Punish those who harm equipment, e.g., loss of computer privileges.

3. Make repairs when things are broken.

We do all three. We haven't tried protecting the equipment or fining parents for damage students do.

See also the People keep poking my screen thread.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Ah, well, good luck! When ever my kids (5 and 3) come near my G4 iMac I am constantly telling them not to touch the LCD. I would be scared to death to have them using an LCD based computer...

Both of mine have their own G3 iMacs. My son has a blue iMac DV and he loves sharing my iTunes library over to his iMac. He has also figured out how to add the network printer so I come home to 10 pages of pokemon and spiderman printouts and empty ink.

My daughter has a Flower Power iMac. She plays Reader Rabbit and a few other games.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
This idea has crossed my mind before...

The iMac's screen is not flush to the rest of the assembly (like the iPods), but rather is set in about 1/8 of an inch. Would it be possible to get a piece of glass (perhaps custom cut) to place in this spot to protect the screen? Maybe it could be held in with clear tape placed over the corners. :confused:

I am curious as to why Apple didn't implement this in their education iMac - they could have made the front of the iMac similar to the front of an iPod, therefore protecting the screen.

...Just a though.

Sobering

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
EricNau said:

The iMac's screen is not flush to the rest of the assembly (like the iPods), but rather is set in about 1/8 of an inch. Would it be possible to get a piece of glass (perhaps custom cut) to place in this spot to protect the screen? Maybe it could be held in with clear tape placed over the corners. :confused:...Just a though.

Thats probably the best idea I've seen on here. :) I'm only 15 but I have little cousins constantly coming over and they are CRAZY for PhotoBooth and in the process of laughing and screaming they just NEED to touch the screen
I am curious as to why Apple didn't implement this in their education iMac - they could have made the front of the iMac similar to the front of an iPod, therefore protecting the screen. I will post some pics soon because right now I am Macless and don't have any of my data.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Sobering said:
Thats probably the best idea I've seen on here.
Yes, but it also seems like the type of product that Apple doesn't need to sell, because other companies can do so. It's not going to be a high-profit item, and it's specialized, so Apple might prefer to let 3rd parties sell them.

The flipside is that Apple wants to make it as easy as possible for schools to spend their money on Macs, and providing a ready-for-education model with screen protection would help.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
EricNau said:

The iMac's screen is not flush to the rest of the assembly (like the iPods), but rather is set in about 1/8 of an inch. Would it be possible to get a piece of glass (perhaps custom cut) to place in this spot to protect the screen? Maybe it could be held in with clear tape placed over the corners. :confused:

I am curious as to why Apple didn't implement this in their education iMac - they could have made the front of the iMac similar to the front of an iPod, therefore protecting the screen.

...Just a though.
That is quite an incredible idea. Of course you'd want to try it out before letting your kids have at it, but I would think that the tilt of the iMac's screen would let gravity hold something as heavy as a sheet of glass in place. I'm sure you can get a sheet of glass like that from some local shop.

Daniel.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Doctor Q said:
Yes, but it also seems like the type of product that Apple doesn't need to sell, because other companies can do so. It's not going to be a high-profit item, and it's specialized, so Apple might prefer to let 3rd parties sell them.

The flipside is that Apple wants to make it as easy as possible for schools to spend their money on Macs, and providing a ready-for-education model with screen protection would help.
Ya, I understand why Apple didn't implement this on consumer models, but for the education model it seems like a no-brainer IMO.

BTW: anyone considering this; make sure the inside edges of the glass aren't sharp. Perhaps have the corners rounded by a pro glass cutter. :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Another choice with iMacs is to wall mount them to get them out of reach of little arms and fingers. Keyboards and mice, which have to be within reach, are easier to replace.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Doctor Q said:
Another choice with iMacs is to wall mount them to get them out of reach of little arms and fingers. Keyboards and mice, which have to be within reach, are easier to replace.
Unfortunately not a supported option for iSight G5 iMacs or the 17" or 20" Core Duo iMacs. :( At least the 24" is VESA compatible.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.