Tips on proper care of SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DubLogic19, Dec 11, 2014.

1. DubLogic19 macrumors member

Now that I have my SSD installed and running with TRIM support enabled (made a thread a few weeks back) what's next?

Can anyone give tips on what I can do to get the most out of this SSD lifespan and to avoid setting off the SMART sensor?:apple:

2. Mikael H macrumors 6502

Relax and use it normally. What an SSD doesn't like is disk thrashing, but it's built to hold up to regular usage.
    What you can do, is to do some kind of disk benchmark on it now that it's new, to set up a baseline. Record the performance numbers, and do new tests every few months. If you notice the performance numbers start dropping a lot compared to the baseline, this might be an indicator that it's time to switch SSDs - if you haven't switched computers before this happens.

3. ano0oj macrumors 6502

welcome to the new age...very little to zero worry necessary.
    just don't get your OS infested with malware and junk

4. DubLogic19 thread starter macrumors member

Any good software out there for this?

5. jdelgado macrumors regular

Blackmagic Disk Speed Test is the one I use for this.

6. Praesto macrumors regular

Correct me if I am wrong, but TRIM shortens the lifespan of a SSD and increases performance. TRIM makes more writes onto the SSD..

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You're wrong.

Only hardware-based garbage collection will result in write amplification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_(computing)

8. Praesto macrumors regular

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Go to Spotlight and search for System Information.

Open up the app.

On the left pane, select SATA/SATA Express and select your drive.

Look for TRIM support.

Attached Files:

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Like the other aspects of the computer, I think if you use it and don't sweat the small stuff, you'll get more enjoyment out of it. That includes not worrying about TRIM, battery cycles and what not. The SSD will be fine, use it and have fun :)

11. CheesePuff macrumors 6502

Just to throw this out there for the OP -- I beat the hell out of my Crucial m4 256 GB SSD on a MacBook that was on usually 24/7, and used ~10-16 hours a day, for just shy of 3 years. Replaced it with a new MacBook Pro Retina, but the drive still has zero issues and nearly just as fast as the day it was installed.

12. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

TRIM is it Really Essential to SSD longevity?

Read alot about TRIM and SSD issues dealing with TRIM. If I buy a 3rd party SSD because (I don't want to bend over and pay for an Apple SSD) I have been told I have to buy a SSD that supports TRIM, and enable it ASAP after installing the SSD.

So far it's been 6 months since I installed a Crucial SSD in this Mac Mini without TRIM support, and I haven't lost any data, nor has the capacity of the SSD decreased.

All Hard Drives have a service life, and then they need replacing. I'm just feeling really skeptical about my SSD suddenly going from 480 GB to 300 or less immediately because I didn't enable TRIM support. Nothings happened in 6 months.

Attached Files:

13. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Trim doesn't have anything to do with capacity it is about maintaining write speed to your hard disk and taht can get slow very quickly without TRIM.

14. Fishrrman macrumors G4

15. magbarn macrumors 68000

Fill the SSD close to capacity and do a lot of daily erasing and writing without TRIM and then get back to us. If you're like most users and leave a big 20% or more buffer of free space AND don't use the drive too heavily then SSD garbage collection should be good enough. If you're like me and work with big 36 megapixel DSLR files and video files, and come close to maxing out my SSD to full capacity, then TRIM is essential.

16. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Will do if I go over 20% available free space. But I also have a 1 TB HD in it as well. So I will probably never have less then 20% free space on the main HD. If I was working with multimedia, like a photographer, and perhaps doing some serious video editing, I would probably invest in some kind of external portable storage, perhaps even some kind of NAS, like most of my photographer friends do.