Tips on purchasing a digital camera for my G5

hulkmad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
5
0
Hello. I was wondering if anyone can offer some suggestions on a good digital camera that can work well with my Apple computer. Thanks.
 

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
541
0
Chicago (by way of SF)
I'm not sure your question makes much sense -- you don't buy a digital camera based on the brand of your computer. Buy the camera that is right for you and then just plug it into your Mac.
 

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
395
0
Any and every camera will work with your computer.

I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but I don't know if the software that comes with the cameras will be mac compatible for every camera maker. However, if you use Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or something similar, than that's a moot point. Very few people really use the packaged software anyway.

If you want a recommendation of specific cameras, give us some parameters to work with. What will you use it for? What's your budget? What's your photographic experience?
 

hulkmad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
5
0
More information...

I have a Kodak DC 260 Zoom and it was a pain try to find a connector for it for my Apple. The camera is old and outdated, and I'm not sure what's going on in the digital camera world (I'm a collector of vintage Nikon and Polaroid cameras). My card for the Kodak was 96MB. Is that now outdated? Are cameras easy to connect to Apples these days, via any USB connector? I have about 200-300 dollars to work with. I'm looking for something small that I can use for traveling and for eBay sales. Thanks. I have Adobe photo applications, but so far I'm fairly happy with iphoto.
 

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
992
0
London
hulkmad said:
Are cameras easy to connect to Apples these days, via any USB connector? I have about 200-300 dollars to work with. I'm looking for something small that I can use for traveling and for eBay sales. Thanks. I have Adobe photo applications, but so far I'm fairly happy with iphoto.
Almost all digital cameras will connect natively with a mac. iPhoto will recognise these cameras. If you happen to have another then Image Capture will take off the photos.
 

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
395
0
hulkmad said:
I have a Kodak DC 260 Zoom and it was a pain try to find a connector for it for my Apple. The camera is old and outdated, and I'm not sure what's going on in the digital camera world (I'm a collector of vintage Nikon and Polaroid cameras). My card for the Kodak was 96MB. Is that now outdated? Are cameras easy to connect to Apples these days, via any USB connector? I have about 200-300 dollars to work with. I'm looking for something small that I can use for traveling and for eBay sales. Thanks. I have Adobe photo applications, but so far I'm fairly happy with iphoto.
Hmm. I don't know a lot about the lower end cams, there are far too many, not to mention the PMA was just a couple weeks ago and a bunch more came out.

Check out www.dpreview.com, they have a buyers guide that you can use to look at all the cameras in that price range, or set more parameters to narrow the search (such as amount of megapixels, size of the zoom, etc)

Also, if you figure out a couple of cams you like, make sure and go to a local camera shop and play around with them for a little while before making your decision. A camera can look great from the specs, but feel terrible in your hands.
 

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
1,023
0
London, UK
The Canon Ixus 40 and Ixus 400/500 (I think they're branded 'Powershot' in the US) are excellent cameras that work well with iPhoto and are around your price range. I have a Sony DSC-P10, which takes great photos but has a pretty slow shutter response. Check out cnet.com, who do really good product reviews of cameras (among other things).
 

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
24,415
124
Location Location Location
Gee said:
The Canon Ixus 40 and Ixus 400/500 (I think they're branded 'Powershot' in the US) are excellent cameras that work well with iPhoto and are around your price range. I have a Sony DSC-P10, which takes great photos but has a pretty slow shutter response. Check out cnet.com, who do really good product reviews of cameras (among other things).
You know what's funny? I have a Canon IXUS 40 (fantastic camera!), I'm from Canada, and yet I have no idea what Powershot model it is in North America (not just the US, you know ;) ).

For your needs, I'd just get a Canon A80 or A85 on sale somewhere.
 
Depends on what you want to use it for as well. I NEVER make prints and only view pictures on my HDTV, so a high-megapixel camera makes little sense unless I plan on doing all my cropping outside of the camera.

Image latency and the ability to shoot well in low light are issues that have come to be important to me.

Good luck.
 

aplasticspork

macrumors regular
May 27, 2004
199
0
Seattle Wa.
Nickygoat said:
Almost all digital cameras will connect natively with a mac. iPhoto will recognise these cameras. If you happen to have another then Image Capture will take off the photos.
iphoto supports more cameras than that, i've used two cameras with iphoto that aren't on the list ;)

--andrzej
 

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
2,967
1
Seattle
Don't say any camera will work, shy away from really bad ones that you get in a plastic thing in walmart, like the vivicam series. They use proprietary methods of connecting to the PC. Any modern name brand camera will work wonderfully. For consumer point and shoots the Panasonic Lumix http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/ line is really strong. The FX7 FZ3 FZ5 FZ20 are really strong cameras with built in image stabilization. The FX7 is a small camera while the FZ20 is a relatively large camera, with the FZ3 and FZ5 laying in-between the two. They have great lenses on them, and can be had for quite reasonable prices.
 

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
2,967
1
Seattle
hulkmad said:
I have a Kodak DC 260 Zoom and it was a pain try to find a connector for it for my Apple. The camera is old and outdated, and I'm not sure what's going on in the digital camera world (I'm a collector of vintage Nikon and Polaroid cameras). My card for the Kodak was 96MB. Is that now outdated? Are cameras easy to connect to Apples these days, via any USB connector? I have about 200-300 dollars to work with. I'm looking for something small that I can use for traveling and for eBay sales. Thanks. I have Adobe photo applications, but so far I'm fairly happy with iphoto.
I just saw this one, if you can remove the card, (which I happen to know it is a compact flash card), then all you have to do to use it with your mac is go and get a cheap compact flash USB card reader. And you're all set, just drag the photos into iphoto if it doesn't see the card as a camera like it should.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.