Tips on WD My Book + Time Machine please?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jitka0, Jul 22, 2009.

1. jitka0 macrumors newbie

Since I have lost all my photos couple of times, I have finally smartened up and yesterday bought WD My Book 1T. There was no guide and I can not really find much on the internet on how to use it with my mac and time machine ( never used time machine before ). So I just plugged it in and it immediately connected with my time machine and took about an hour to copy all data. It seemed that it copied all data inc. all software applications, documents and even itunes library ( not the program - just songs ). I could not find my iPhoto library. So I just dragged it across to my book and now its there. I just don't really get the whole thing - how it works with my HD and with time machine - what gets updated automatically and what i have to drag across? Also - when i get new photos and music - does it automatically update or i have to drag it across and how i save it?? i know its a lot of Q - but i want to understand this asap to prevent losing more data. Thanks to anyone who can put any light on this for me or at least recommend a website or link.

2. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Which MyBook did you get? Did you format the drive to be HFS+ Journaled?

To change which files get backed up go to System Preferences->Time Machine and click on "Options".

3. alexh123drum macrumors member

hi, I have the same setup as you except the 500GB WD. I also disconnect the WD frequently when im out and about and so on. As I understand time machine it remembers everything that you have changed/added on your computer then updates just those files next time you plug in your external drive.
    For example last time I connected my drive it said at the top it was updating 1GB so I figured this was the amount of stuff I had downloaded or changed whatever.

4. jitka0 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi - thanks for reply

I have the My Book 1T for Mac. didn't format it - but it seems to work fine.
    i was just mainly asking about any tips on using it and on using it with time machine as i'm new to it .

5. ibizarocks macrumors regular

Hey I have a WD passport for my Time Machine and I just plugged it in, used the default settings and went away with it. This was in Sept2008 and since then I've had to do one full restore which went very successfully. Literally saved my life!!

There isn't much to it to be honest other than it's a safety feature that hopefully you'll never have to use.

6. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

That drive comes pre-formatted to work with Time Machine, so you're all set. Time Machine has very few options in order to make using it very easy. To adjust the options go to System Preferences->Time Machine and click on "Options".