Tips to improve battery life on 6S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Benz63amg, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

i got my 6s, i have background app refresh etc disabled and my battery isnt all that great, any tips to improve it?

2. James6s macrumors regular

James6s

Seems to be a few threads popping up now about the poor battery life on the 6s! I'm getting mine tomorrow so then I'll be able to test the 6s next to my iPhone 6.

3. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

its the same as my iphone 6 i guess but yeah the battery life aint that great i gotta be honest, i have all the usual suspects such as background app refresh and these unnecessary system features like handoff disabled to save battery, i dont use email push notifications either and ya the battery life isnt all that,

4. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Give the battery a few days to calibrate. Other than that just basics really:

- Turn off background app refresh
    - Turn off bluetooth/wifi when not using them
    - Turn on automatic brightness
    - Turn on screen off after X amount of time
    - Switch email from push to manual
    - Delete facebook app (known battery drainer) if you have it
    - Monitor your battery stats to see what is causing any battery drain

Here's a page from Apple on tips for maximizing your battery life: http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

5. iApple_man macrumors regular

iApple_man

Beginning to sound like Android no?

6. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Thanks for the reply, I got all these under control, I have Bluetooth on all the time due to having an Apple Watch,

What do you mean by "- Turn on screen off after X amount of time" ?

7. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

8. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

x would be a variable representing an amount of time. The longer your screen is on the more battery is drained.

9. danwestbrook macrumors regular

danwestbrook

not had any problems with mine really happy coming from a 3 year old iPhone 5

10. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Sorry I meant auto-lock (didn't have an iPhone in front of me). Sometimes people turn off auto-lock and then forget to manually turn off their screen which will drain the battery.

11. MaciMac100 macrumors 6502

You are holding it wrong! There is no batterygate.

No, just wait for Apple to fix it by calibrating battery meter in statusbar to make battery "bigger". Or wait for free battery case.

12. quamsi macrumors regular

Doesn't the phone automatically pull from Wi-Fi versus data if wifi is available?

13. batting1000 macrumors 604

If wifi is on and connected, it will use your wifi...not sure if that was a serious question or not.

14. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

^ yes it does.

Will disabling LTe and using 4g instead extend battery?

15. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

I'm starting to think that it's auto brightness that is the source of my power drain! If I walk on the street it bumps brightness to max! That's rediciloius, it means that if it's sunny out and I'm using my phone on the street the brightness is maxed out which is sure to seriously drain the battery, I set brightness halfway now and disabled auto brightness

The feature works great don't get me wrong but it's rediciloius that it maxes out the battery if you use it during daytime in the street

16. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Average or less battery life is, and has been the norm on every iPhone since the original. At least that's been my experience.

The good news is ANKER makes truly excellent external batteries that are sold through Amazon at a discount.

I purchased a few in different sizes. They're the solution for those of us that use a smartphone as it's designed to be enjoyed.

17. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Battery life problems with iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus? Here's the fix!
    BY RENE RITCHIE

The iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus has a slightly smaller battery than the previous generation—blame the Taptic Engine for horning in on its space—but also great processor and radio efficiency and software in iOS 9 designed to extend power savings longer than ever. The result should be about the same this year as last. But if that's not the case, if your iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus isn't lasting as long as you expect, here's what you can do about it!

1. Wait for it

Whether you restore from backup or set up as new, your new iPhone can use up a lot of radio and processor time for...​

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Check what is eating your battery. The battery meter in iOS is finally as good as that of android. It tells you axactly how much battery an app is eating both in the background and with the screen on. I feel like it's the most overlooked feature of iOS 9.

19. admanne macrumors newbie

Exact same battery performance as last years 6 for me.

20. quamsi macrumors regular

The Game 161 suggested we turn off data while on Wi-Fi. I just wanted to make sure that was not really necessary.

21. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

For?

22. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Not good, though I took a good amount of photos and 4K video this morning.

Attached Files:

23. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

That bolded blue text means it's a link to the rest of the article.

Click on it.

24. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

That article didn't tell us anything we haven't already discussed here in this thread

25. tecnho macrumors 6502

The norm across all iPhones must be average by definition, it cannot be below average...