Other Tips to Maximizing Battery Health

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Banglazed, Jan 2, 2018.

1. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

what about time. that is a major factor. can we somehow stop time?

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

You need a TARDIS.

Fortunately, Apple provides a dongle for that.

3. pgoelz macrumors regular

Depends on what you consider the minimum acceptable run time and how willing you are to pay Apple's prices for a new battery. For me, at $79 I'll make an effort to reduce cell degradation when possible but I don't stress over it. At $29, even less so.

No, it IS a guarantee. Minimize the time spent at or near 0% and 100% and you WILL reduce cell degradation. That is the nature of lithium cells.... ALL lithium cells. It is not opinion, it is fact. How much you reduce cell degradation with careful use is an open question since it is heavily dependent on how each individual user implements the guidelines. We also have zero access to the actual battery datasheet so it is not possible without experimentation to put actual numbers on the contribution to degradation from each parameter.

One bit of good news is that unlike a laptop that is constantly plugged into AC power and spends most of its time at 100% charge, a phone is almost always discharging and therefore spends relatively little time at 100% charge.

Paul

4. goose <3 macrumors newbie

I'm gonna go on a vacation next week, so I would need to make sure that my phone lives as long as it can. I really hope that your tips would help me have one less issue to worry about while I'm travelling.

5. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Yeah I would like to see stats but understand its not available. Also are you assuming 100% on the phone display is 100% battery? Do we know if apple is really capping it at a lower mark?

6. pgoelz macrumors regular

In the absence of any hard data to the contrary, I am assuming 100% on the battery gauge is 100% charge for that cell chemistry. Apple may be capping it at a lower voltage but I don't think anyone actually knows without independently measuring the cell voltage.

Paul

7. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

I agree in a way as Tesla allows you to cap their charging at 80-90 but you can change it and that is for a car and you can be stranded so its much different than a smartphone. However even with that and babying of the battery some of them still degrade very quickly due to xyz reasons so I dont think its “guaranteed”. but will agree to disagree on that. Happy NY!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or he could use a flux capacitor;)

9. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

That too. But OP needs to be doing 88mph for that to kick in. ;)

10. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

And that's exactly what Apple wants everyone to do.
    Do not stop buying new iphones and handing them your money.
    If you do they will force you to upgrade sooner or later;)