Tips to set up a replacement mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rye9, Apr 22, 2015.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

After just shy of 6 years, I went out today and replaced my 2009 MBP with a new rMBP. It's the 128GB SSD version, a far cry from my current 500GB HDD. I have 90GB used on my current HDD, will I be fine moving to the new rMBP? It's still shrink-wrapped and all; I'm waiting until I'm perfectly set to migrate my data.

I'm concerned because I know that HDD's will be less than the actual reported capacity, is that the same for the SSD's? Should I get CCleaner for Mac and get rid of unnecessary files?

Also, unrelated to storage, how else should I, if anything, prepare my current mac before I migrate the data? (Or anything on my new Mac? I'm currently on the most recent version so it should be totally fine... only thing that's different AFAIK is the SSD vs HDD and the new Force Touch trackpad).

And finally, after my new rMBP is set up, how do I go about "resetting" this current Mac? I'm giving it to my mother for her to use, so I want it to be fresh for her.

Any other tips would be great, too! Thanks :)

2. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

You should be fine. What I would honestly recommend is to do a fresh install. Manually copy over your files and reinstall the applications. You'll find that things will go smoother.

As far as resetting it, (assuming you don't have a boot password set), boot into recovery and use Disk Utility to erase the drive, and then install OSX.

3. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Why would that be better than Migration Assistant?

4. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

Whenever I've used Migration Assistant, I've had various issues with lingering files and settings.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Yea but you can just uncheck things and just transfer you data, pictures and music. Then just remember to save shareware username/passwords and download the most updated versions of software yourself.