Tips to speed up Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Pharmscott, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Any tips on coaxing more speed out of a 2011 i7/4GB Macbook Pro? It works fine but it's just not as peppy as it used to be. Currently running Mavericks. Most use is light duty: internet, watching video, email, etc. Thanks in advance!

2. rapicell macrumors regular

Mmm, probably an SSD to improve startup/shutdown/app opening speed, ram is probably fine with what you do, and maybe even do a fresh install of the os.

3. caribiner23 macrumors regular

caribiner23

Upgrading memory and replacing the hard drive with an SSD will definitely speed up the unit. I had a 2008 MBP and it ran like a new machine after upgrading memory and SSD.

4. Pharmscott thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

I ordered a Crucial M500 SSD. I'll update this post with results after I install it.

5. rendyr macrumors member

rendyr

SSD will do the job just fine if you only for light usage. Upgrade your RAM to 8GB if you use it quite heavily. I upgrade my Core 2 Duo Aluminium Macbook to Samsung 250GB EVO SSD and 8GB RAM. I move the hard drive to DVD drive for iPhoto and iTunes library.

It amazingly improve the speed drastically. It performs just as good as nowadays windows laptops. SSD is inexpensive and can hold your urge to upgrade for the next few years again.

Just make sure enable TRIM by using TRIM Enabler and reinstall your OS (clean install) for maximum performance. My speed is limited to SATA2 speed but it doesn't really matter since I only focus on application start up time.

6. Pharmscott thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

I installed the SSD last weekend and man, what a difference. It's like a new computer. Super fast boot and shut down. Programs like iTunes or Mac App store open much faster, especially Adobe Photoshop Elements.

If you're on the fence for putting a SSD in, go for it. I got the drive for $130 and installation was easy - like 10min total.