Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Hello there

I’m going to Tasmania next week and I’m considering buying an iPhone 11 Pro.

I’m coming from an iPhone 6S and I do a lot of travel, at least once a month.

Do you have any tips to make great photos?

I’m more interested in the “do-don’t” than playing with the settings, I prefer to enjoy the landscape then take a picture than spending 10 min in behind the camera and not feeling the place.

I’m not technical in digital photography.

rgyiv

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2018
I too switched from a 6S to an 11 Pro, and just got back from a trip to Europe. I'm not a photographer, but I feel like I got some pretty cool shots.

I played with the .5x, 1x, and 2x zooms a lot, but other than that, I didn't touch a single setting. The .5x is pretty cool to get you a wider angle of viewing.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Oh ok, thanks for your message. You don’t have blurry pictures or « flare lenses » on them?

How look the pictures if you display them on a computer, are they still okay?

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I have the 11 (non-pro model) but then again on most trips I also take a "real" camera along. Having said that, we recently took a long weekend in San Francisco and I only took the iPhone 11 (because we have been there quite a few times) and was very impressed - and this was coming from an XS also.
In good light the iPhones work great. I will say that the Normal lens appears to take better photos (though not as cool) as the Ultra Wide - which is to be expected. In lower light and indoors, the new "Night Shot" mode does a wonderful job - assuming that you hold the camera still and the subject doesn't move because the exposure times are longer.
To me, the most important thing to learn is how to set where the iPhone camera sets its focus and exposure point instead of letting the camera's brain choose. You tap on the screen to put the little focus/exposure box where you want it set. It is especially important in cases with strong backlighting, which can even throw off "real" cameras if you are not careful.
Also, learn the differences in how the camera now switches (in the Photo mode) between Video, Single Shot and Multiple Exposure modes. My wife was continually taking videos when she wanted to take a still shot. Rather annoying that you can't turn that off in settings IMHO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.