Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asunc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2023
Hello - this is my first post and I just got an old MacBook/10.6.8 up and running some obsolete software (Nikon Scan 4.02 to run a film scanner) and here is where I am stuck...

I am able to scan film with my Nikon film scanner to the MacBook's drive. Now I need to map a USB drive on my windows 11 workstation to the MB so I can dump the files there as an entry into my photo processing flow. The MacBook can connect to the internet and I can browse (barely, using FireFox 4.9).

However I cannot connect to the shared folder. I can map that folder to another Mac - a MBP running Monterey. On the MBP I can "Go--> Connect to Server" and then type in my Workstation ip and connect (smb://<WorkstationIp> ) with no problem. Also, I can "Browse" the network and see all my machines - windows, macs, and Android TV.

When I try this with the old MB, I get a "Connection Failed" error and can not connect. And, when I try to "Browse" to connect, I only see my other Macs. So, I can browse other Macs - but not any other machines on the network - on this 10.6.8 machine. My other MBP and MB Air can see the Macs as well as my windows machines and Shield TV.

I know this is an ancient MB and OS, but I cannot get this Software to work on later Macs - it requires the "Classic" and I think one of the last Mac OS versions to have it is 10.6.8 (and it loads Rosetta when I install the Nikon software). Both my Macbook Air and MBP are too new to run 10.6.8 - the processor is not supported.

I am not sure if I have some network Configuration issue or if I am up against a hardware problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pedro Passamani

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2023
It's probably because of SMB v1. AFAIK, Snow Leopard only supports SMB v1, which is disabled by default on Windows 10 and 11. You can enable it and try connecting again.

Quick tip, you need to check only the server option, no need for the other ones.

asunc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2023
It's probably because of SMB v1. AFAIK, Snow Leopard only supports SMB v1, which is disabled by default on Windows 10 and 11. You can enable it and try connecting again.

Quick tip, you need to check only the server option, no need for the other ones.
Great - thank you, I will check this out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.