Tips & Tricks - MB Pro Touchbar 2016

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Phwoar, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Phwoar, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016

Phwoar macrumors newbie

Rules:
    • Two sentences only
    • Post your tips and tricks for MB Pro Touchbar 2016, that make life easier/workflows smoother
    I'll start:

Create a shut down button:
    System Preferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts->App Shortcuts->press "+"->All Applications->then type "Shut down..." and click in shortcut field and hold down "fn+F1".
    Result:
    From any app, holding down fn+F1 immediately brings up a shutdown prompt using fast muscle memory executed with keys, instead of having to go through the time-wasting ad hoc action of dragging the mouse up to the Apple menu, clicking the menu, then navigating shakily to select the shut down item.

2. Karnicopia macrumors 6502

3. chabig macrumors 68040

This is rich. A thread about making workflows easier, and the first one is about how to stop using the computer! And not just stop, as in walking away or letting it sleep, but actually shutting is down, which is something that never needs to be done.

4. jackoatmon, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016

jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

This one's a PSA, not a trick:
    Do not install Touch Switcher !!! When you uninstall it it creates permanent bugs that can be very, very difficult to get rid of (phantom buttons, broken buttons, touch bar crashes, etc.) It's a piece of garbage software.

5. jozero macrumors regular

Why are you turning off your Mac so much ? There is no point to doing that unless you need to physically hibernate for a month and have a fresh battery when you wake up.

Cmd - option - shift - delete : instant sleep mode
    Or just close the lid.

6. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

I recommend putting things that require multiple operations on Touch Bar and cannot be replicated with keyboard shortcuts, but are required often. For example, the screenshot button gives multiple options (choosing the destination and region on the fly) not available with a single keyboard shortcut.

Not sure why would I need a shortcut to shut down my computer - that is used like, what, once a month on average? I hope you're not shutting down your Mac every night ;)

--- Post Merged, Dec 31, 2016 ---
    Are you srue it's Touchswitcher? I've been using it but didn't have any of the issues you mention. I've stopped using it, but how do you know it creates permanent bugs and that it is the culprit? (Genuine question, I would like to know)

7. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

Well, I may be wrong. That's for sure. But I installed it, tried it for a day, didn't like it an uninstalled it, but the button for it stayed behind, but did not do anything. And starting that day I got tons of different glitches in the touchbar, which looked exactly like the system thought the button was gone but it was still there (overlapping buttons, broken animations, weird spacings). It took me a lot of deleting files and sc rewing around and many restarts to get rid of the touch switcher button, but then the space it was in was still there, just blank and still causing all the weird glitches. Long story later, I eventually got the space to go away after a couple of weeks. Was so close to reinstalling OSX, but in the end did not have to.

It was a huge headache that appeared to have been caused by touch switcher. Could certainly be wrong. But it's a buggy program anyway, and I thought I would just let people know.

8. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

I just added the sleep button to the touch bar. One move within finger's reach while typing.

9. jozero macrumors regular

What happens if you actually touch it ? There is no key to press down / physical key to seperate it.

I'm just curious. I don't think I'd put a system operation like that in the touchbar

10. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

It goes to sleep. It's magical. ;)

11. dapork macrumors regular

dapork

Does anyone know how to do "Force Quit"?

That's something I'm concerned about.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You mean force a shutdown if it locks up? You can hold down the power button just like before.

13. dapork macrumors regular

dapork

No I mean force-quit, which allows you to force quit applications that aren't responding. With the touch bar I wonder how this will be done if the escape key isn't showing or if the touch bar itself locks up.

14. mbezzo macrumors member

force quit - option command esc or Apple Menu > Force quit. Touch bar doesn't change this one really at all since esc. is always there.

15. jozero macrumors regular

oops ! Damn autocorrect. I meant *accidentally* touch it. I get your point though.

16. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

If you *accidentally* touch it, Siri will say: "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

My tips:
    1) Map the Caps Lock key to Escape. Go to System Properties, Keyboard. Then click the Modifier Keys button and adjust as follows:

[​IMG]

2) Make a shortcut key to clear history from Safari. Go to System Properties, Keyboard, Shortcuts tab. Go to App Shortcuts on the left. Click the Plus button. Configure like below, i.e. select Safari, exactly type the string Clear History... there, then give it a keyboard shortcut. I suggest Shift-Cmd-P, where P obviously stands for "Polish" up your history.
    [​IMG]

17. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

I just realized you can hold the Option key while pressing various Touch Bar buttons and it's a shortcut for their System Preferences panes. For example, hold Opt and press any volume button on the TB and you'll get Sound options. Hold Opt and press the brightness button, and get Display options. Opt + Sleep gives Power options, Opt + Siri gives Siri options, etc.

18. alex00100 macrumors regular

Is there a way to put volume up and volume down buttons on there instead of a slider, in the way it's in boot camp?

19. leman macrumors 604

What is the purpose? Why not simply close the lid?

20. Phwoar thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, yeah sometimes I won't use it for a few days until the end of the week, so for my use shutting down makes a little more sense (at least to me!). Can completely understand if you're using it every few hours.

Did you have any further tips & tricks?