Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
My wife and I have each have an iPhone 5 with AT&T.

Quite frankly, I'm tired of having 2 and sometimes even 3 bars of LTE service, but effectively having no service, being unable to send texts.

It's one thing to have no service, but it's another to tell me I have 2-3 bars of service and really have no service, that's irritating as hell. I'm sure AT&T would blame Apple and vice-versa.

Isn't there some way I can boost the signal? I think there is but I don't know what it is or if it works or is just a bunch of BS.

AT&T is definitely out the door when the iPhone 6 comes out. Tired of St. Paul - not immediately downtown where there are skyscrapers - being pretty much a dead zone for AT&T.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012

Quite frankly, I'm tired of having 2 and sometimes even 3 bars of LTE service, but effectively having no service, being unable to send texts.

It's one thing to have no service, but it's another to tell me I have 2-3 bars of service and really have no service, that's irritating as hell. I'm sure AT&T would blame Apple and vice-versa.

Isn't there some way I can boost the signal? I think there is but I don't know what it is or if it works or is just a bunch of BS.

AT&T is definitely out the door when the iPhone 6 comes out. Tired of St. Paul - not immediately downtown where there are skyscrapers - being pretty much a dead zone for AT&T.

There's no way to boost a signal without extra hardware to repeat the signal. And I haven't heard of any to LTE signal repeaters, only 4g ones

How is your signal when you connect to 4g?

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Perfect time to start looking for other carriers that work better in your area.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Yes, you can boost the signal.
Gotta hold up in the air a metal coat hanger while you use the phone.
Signal will reach 4-5 bars at least. But make sure its metal and not a plastic hanger.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
My ATT iPhone 5s kept dropping calls and not sending txt msg., even though I had 2 bars of LTE. I went through all the trouble shooting , reboot, restore, cleaning the sim, no help. Apple Care told me to get a new sim. Solved the problem, now I have 3-4 bars LTE always, and no dropped calls. If you haven't tried a new sim, it might be worthwhile.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I get fairly good service where I live on 2 bars of LTE. Have you contacted AT&T and let them know about your issue?

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
This is not the same thing, but I have an rMini with AT&T service. I get 2 bars with LTE and full bars with 4G when I turn LTE off. With LTE on, I get 5-7 Mbs download and less the 1 Mbs upload. I turn off LTE and only use 4G and I double my download and upload speeds. So I would recommend turning off LTE and see what happens. You probably will have faster speed and better connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.