Tired of it.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 030108, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 030108 macrumors member

[FONT="#333333"]You know that "reddish" wallpaper(background) image that loads when you boot leopard? It's the wallpaper image that displays once you are at the login screen.

I am tired of it.

How do I turn it off, possibly change it?

I never have seen any point to that image AT ALL.

In fact, my assumption is that all it does is slow down the time it takes my Leopard shipped Macbook 4GB to boot to the login screen since it must certainly load into memory while the machine is trying to boot.

A while back I logged into my "admin" account and tried to find a way to turn it off. I even VERY CAREFULLY logged into my "root" account and tried to find a way to turn it off.

I must have missed something obvious. How do I turn it OFF?

***Any resemblance that "entities" in this post, or any post by this author, may have to any persons living, dead, undead, or other is, the author is claiming, purely coincidental. The post is characterized by the author as the author's opinion and the author virtually ALWAYS states that same FACT liberally throughout the author's posts.***

In my opinion.

What started as opinion(s) in the mind of Newton, Albert, and others are now unequivocal fact.

I am not sure what dimension SOME PEOPLE are living in, but IN THIS ONE once A PERSON chooses to bite into a carrot THAT PERSON has no choice whatsoever in accepting the taste no more than IN THIS DIMENSION A PERSON can CHOOSE to jump off the top of a skyscraper naked, but then choose not to fall. If A PERSON chooses to jump off a skyscraper naked falling is not a choice once THAT PERSON has jumped. ...If a person chooses to bite a carrot with his/her mouth tasting that carrot is not a choice either.

In my opinion it takes a really screwed up mind to wholeheartedly love being a slave, though. ...Maybe slaves have screwed up mouths that defy the laws of physics and physiology as well.

And ALTHOUGH many do not seem to realize it, a primary point behind Apple, even behind their recent Apple vs. PC commercials is how an Apple just works and is easy vs. a PC. That sentiment from Apple is not new to me, though, because Apple has been implying that for many years

...I do not buy a modern computer to "figure it out" I buy a computer because I want it, mostly, to "...just work..."

Unfortunately, though, with all of the experienced users of Apple machines that have their Leopard machines, or some functionality of them, fail after applying an update onto the machine it really seems, in my opinion, that, either, Apple does not care about stability or Apple would rather have most of their users buy another Apple machine instead of updating it so that, with only 5%, they can continue to make record breaking earnings. Ditto the aforementioned comments with the Iphone, etcetera. note: If some people do not believe me with regard to the aforementioned update and other issues with Leopard, Iphone, etcetera, then look around in the forums and elsewhere.

First of all ***** response is *****. I specifically directed my last post to "gusious" who had ALREADY responded MORE THAN 2 HOURS BEFORE ***** did.

If ***** need to prove that ***** are a slave worshipping Apple that is, in my opinion, ***** own issue. Nonetheless, that was pretty clear to me when ***** stated that apple "...[owns]...***** a*s, lock, stock and barrel..."

I wonder if people who use the phrase know what a lock, stock and barrel is? ...without having to google it? ...or are those people just spouting off some words that sound "cool" because other *****(read matrix or whatever sounds cool to *****) use them?

I am happy that ***** are happy that *****, and everything ***** own, belongs to Apple, but I do not care and there are, I am sure, threads that lend themselves to ***** attempt to "display" that fact, although it escapes me why any person would want to, more than this one.

I am requesting that ***** find those threads and, moreover, that ***** never post in another thread that I started. That is my request.

I do not worship Apple or any other manufacturer, computer or otherwise.

And I am certainly no *****, as some people apparently are of Apple, of Hewlett Packard, Microsoft, Porsche, Ferrari or any other company.

And if ***** are trying to prove how much of a "Trekkie" you are by using "...resistance is FUTILE..." in my opinion ***** have proved the opposite.

I kind of wrote the book(actually unofficial amateur guide(s)) on Sci-Fi(Blake's 7, Tripods, Lathe of Heaven, Dr. Who, Misfits of Science, Isaac Asimov, Sir Arthur Charles Clarke, CBE, etcetera), mostly using an IBM Selectric typewriter in a country most people probably never heard of, possibly before ***** existed.

Furthermore, the very fact that ***** posted, inefficiently and unnecessarily, in this thread proves to me that ***** certainly know nothing of the Borg. I guess the whole Borg slave situation made ***** feel ***** know what they are about.

Oh, although Apple is not one of them there is a growing list of companies that, if ***** want to look at it that way, might own me.

Why? Because year after year for, maybe, more years than...they have been responsible for about E-u-r-o 593,427 for myself and about E-u-r-o 780,000 for my partners. So if ***** want to say any business entity owns me those business entities might, in a manner of speaking, fit AND I would, and have been known to, behave somewhat subserviently in the presence of executives of those companies.

Again, Apple is not yet one of those companies and I owe Apple nothing.

Do ***** know what "captive audience" means?

*Now *****, I am going to apply the same behavior the Borg do when they encounter "technology" unworthy of assimilation and quite thoroughly ignore *****. Feel free to keep talking though, as I have no doubt ***** will, because, although "un-Borg like", it will give me great pleasure to know that ***** are talking to me while I am ignoring *****. The whole idea of it is exquisite to me.*

[/FONT]

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To replace the login screen background (if that's what you're referring to)
    In Terminal:

• cd /System/Library/CoreServices
    • sudo mv DefaultDesktop.jpg DefaultDesktop_Old.jpg
    • (enter password when prompted)
    • quit Terminal
    • rename desired image to DefaultDesktop.jpg
    • in Finder, drag and drop the image into /System/Library/CoreServices
    • when asked, click Authenticate and enter user name and password for your Admin-level account.
    • Restart

3. 030108 thread starter macrumors member

Thankyou ggjstudios.

Do I need to do it through Terminal at all?

Based on your information I see DefaultDesktop.jpg under System->CoreServices->

Can I just change the name to DefaultDesktop_old.jpg to prevent ANY login screen from being used without doing anything in Terminal?

Or can I just change the name to DefaultDesktop_old.jpg and drag another DefaultDesktop.jpg into the CoreServices folder?

I have saved a copy of DefaultDesktop.jpg to another location outside of the CoreServices folder.

4. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

i didn't use the terminal at all, but either way should work fine. i just backed it up elsewhere, deleted the original and replaced it with a new image.

5. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Sorry but i am confused...You want to change your picture or delete it?

For changing your pic there is a small program called desktop2login. It's freeware. You run it, it asks for your password and then replaces the login picture with the current one you have on your desktop.:)

6. 030108 thread starter macrumors member

gusious I really wanted to turn it off so no login screen background loads at all.

I do not see the point of it, and can only assume it slows my Macbook's boot time, and it is Ugly.

However, I see it is only 1.3mb now and Mimmac's author graciously pointed out via email that any slow down attributable to such a small image is probably negligible.

I would still rather not have ANY login screen background image load at all, but, after seeing the image's size AND reading warnings and horror stories about manually fiddling around with system files I guess? I will just leave it alone.

I am, nonetheless, confused as to why Apple did not make turning the login screen background image off or changing it, if even via Leopard's "root" account, SIMPLE considering how easy as it is to do so for the normal desktop background.

I mean really; how arrogant is it to, apparently, ASSUME all Leopard user's would like that default image. The answer is that it is just as arrogant as assuming that ALL Leopard user's would like just one normal desktop background(wallpaper), something which Apple does not do because they make those easy to change.

Anyway, I once heard it said that to ASSUME makes an a - s - s of u and me and it, in my opinion, was certainly a - s - s inine of Apple to implement Leopard's login screen background image in the way they did.

But, then again, I am coming to the realization that Apple no more gives a spit about me anymore than Microsoft does and, just like Microsoft, probably more so and in a sneakier way, all Apple cares about is dangling a carrot in front of my face just enough to sucker me into buying more. A carrot that never tastes nearly as sweet as it looked before I bit.

7. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Did you try the app told you?Desktop to login?You can put a simple white background.Or something else. I guess a picture with one colour take less time to load that an one colour image....

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Let's keep the personally pointed statements out of this thread and stay on-topic please. Thanks.

9. kolax macrumors G3

I changed my login background to a nice gradient of blue. I'm not really fond of the whole frontier of space image. It just looks geeky. An ironic image to what Apple is wanting us to view of, but not cool.

Since the second half of your post was a bit irrelevant and more of a rant on society, you might/might not want to check out Zeitgeist Movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.