Tired of my Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rican, Jul 18, 2008.

1. rican macrumors 6502

rican

My MBP has been taken care of like a baby since July 29th, 2007, when i got it last year... I've had chronic problems w/ my screen and this time was the last straw

today my screen went blank , i tried turning it off over night, and everything...

nothing I went to apple to see what they can do & obviously they "sent it in." i am really frusterated because I need to have a computer for school because I take summer term as well (no breaks) I need to take notes in class and whatnot but these problems keep occuring for no damn good reason...

I am thinking about buying an iMac at home, to keep in my MBP acts up, but im really tired of the ****** ways it has right now... =/

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So...?

And where did you a 2.2GHz 17" MacBook Pro? :confused:

3. rican thread starter macrumors 6502

rican

excuse my typo and I didn't post this to get sarcastic comments back.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Have them fix it, flog it on ebay, buy the new one when it comes out in a few weeks :)

5. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I thought you said they sent it in to be fixed? What's the problem?

6. showtime macrumors 6502

When they fix it sell it and use that money towards the new macbook pro that is suppose to come out soon. Then you'll new macbook pro to baby.

7. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Personally, I am surprised that with your experience so far, that you would be looking to buy another Apple machine right now.

I'd probably throw my money at a cheap PC portable and use it for note taking while I waited for Apple's quality to climb back up.

8. LinMac macrumors 65816

A cheap PC portable that runs Windows Vista? Umm.. how about no?

Edit: I am aware that there are several direct OEM offerings of Linux instead of Windows Vista and even some that will offer Windows XP instead of Vista. The Linux offerings are an embarrassment in the type of hardware that it is sometimes offered on. Windows XP could be an acceptable alternative, but the offerings are often limited with an additional charge necessary to buy Windows XP on the machine.

Apple's Quality Assurance/Quality Control could use some work. There is no excuse for some of the problems that we're seeing, but that doesn't mean that PC makers are any better. There is a general problem with QA/QC with many major OEMs and it doesn't seem to be getting much better.

The only thing that makes Apple's lack of QA/QC better than some other major OEMs is the AppleCare service where they will fix whatever is wrong. I've seen some major OEMs refuse to fix issues that are known design flaws.

All this makes me a sad panda.

9. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

If you plan on keeping that MacBook Pro and don't already have Applecare, *buy it right now* before it expires. If you don't and it breaks on as early as the 30th July then you'll be left with one hell of an expensive paper weight.

10. m1stake macrumors 68000

You can still have it repaired when it's not under Apple Care, it's just extremely expensive. $300 now to save more later.

Not sure if you should sell it when you get it back. The new Rev A Macbook Pros won't exactly be bug free.

11. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

I know there are PC builders who have issues similar to Apple. The difference, is that unlike Apple, you are not forced to purchase it from that one company that has issues.

You can find many great and reliable PC's at prices that are unbelievable.

As for the Windows issue, really???? Does it really matter which operating system you use if all you're doing is taking notes in class?

Linux, Windows, Mac OS??? It's all the same when you're typing in a word processor.

And, if you don't like one word processor, pick another one. There are tons of options available for each operating system.

I do prefer using OS X. But, I've had a very hard time finding Apple computers that are reliable.

The Mac Pro I am using now is reliable, but it does have a defect that I can live with (doesn't affect my use). I've thought of getting it fixed, but from previous repairs (on other machines) I know that the machine will be worse when it comes back from the servicing (since it will then have a new logic board with different issues than those I have now).

The iMac's I've had in recent years have never worked right. I couldn't ever actually use them because they were always in the shop.

my Mac Mini G4 is rock solid though. As is my wife's iBook G4.

And, Apple's I had prior to the G4's were solid. But, those were all before Steve Jobs returned to decrease quality and make things pretty.

From my experience, the only computers I've ever had fail on me have been Apples. And, I've owned a ton of PC's from various companies.

Yes, some PC's have issues. But, you have a choice as to where to buy your PC. You don't have to buy the garbage one.

With Macs, if you want a Mac, you are stuck with whatever level of quality Apple is producing at the moment.

I've become much more selective in my Apple purchases. I will no longer buy a machine from Apple based on just price and whether it meets my needs. Instead, I watch the reports, and evaluate a machine's reported problems before I'll consider it.

With my iMacs, I believed that the defenders were right. I believed that it was just a bunch of people who complained a lot. I believed it was truly a minority. That was until the day I discovered I had just not waited long enough. Suddenly, my machine was in the shop for weekly visits. Every time it came back, it would work for a short bit, and then another part would fail. It turned into such a vicious cycle that I sold the machine for whatever I could get out of it after it's last service (sold it before it could break again).

I waited about a year, and purchased a later revision. Figuring that surely they'd have improved. Unfortunately, that machine didn't even work when it arrived. And, after it's initial service, it was constantly in the shop as well. So, after it's final repair, I sold it for what I could get.

Then, rather than running out to buy another Mac, I reverted to using my G4 systems and PC's to tide me over until I found a machine solid enough to purchase. Waited about a year after the Mac Pro's were released to get one after it had established a pretty solid track record.

The only issue this Mac Pro has, is sound when in Windows. But, I can live with that. It's a physical cold solder joint that I know how to fix myself. So, I'll likely perform the repair myself after the warranty runs out. If I take it to Apple, they'll just give me someone else's returned logic board, and I'll have to wait to see what issues it has.

Yes, like you say, there are issues with PC's. But, it's not issues inherent in PC's. It's issues with specific manufacturers. Just like the issues with some Macs are due to manufacturing rather than the fact they are Macs.

It's just that I can choose a PC from one of any number of hundreds of companies. But, I can only buy a Mac made by Apple.

So, where quality is concerned, you are a bit more limited when it comes to finding a Mac that is built solid and reliable. You have only one company to pick from.

12. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Yep, used to be that you were pretty safe after you got to revision D.

But, not likely that many current generation machines will see their exact design survive 4 generations of revisions these days.

Used to be that they were refined and improved for about 4 generations. But, Apple has been almost starting over after each revision B lately (when it comes to component choices, supporting technology, design issues, and other such changes).

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I didn't make any sarcastic comments; you didn't ask a question so I wanted to know what you wanted help with...

And I didn't know if it was typo or not as I have recently encountered a number of people asking me about 2.2GHz 17" MBPs forcing me to double-check everytime.

As with a solution, write a email to sjobs[at]apple.com and see you can get a replacement computer; I guess you could do this after the refresh as well; it's not like you're defrauding anyone for a computer; you just want your issues resolved.

14. LinMac macrumors 65816

I don't recall being forced to buy anything from Apple. There are many vendors to choose from and all offer different products. If you want Mac OS X then you buy from Apple, but that is hardly forcing you to buy from them.

There are many offerings from OEMs that are quite competitive, but the simple fact of it is you don't need a specific operating system to complete such a basic task. A pencil and a paper notebook will accomplish the same task without the expense of a computer.

The issue is how elegantly the task is completed and how easy it is to do. :)

Windows Vista can be an issue on cheaper notebooks. I own a Toshiba that was purchased at Office Depot during a sale for $250 (after rebate). It came loaded with Windows Vista and ran very very slowly with the included hardware.

I actually first purchased Apple hardware quite awhile after the Intel switch was completed so I'm newer to Apple hardware than you are. I have had pretty good luck so far and I've been pleasantly surprised by Apple's service. This does not excuse Apple's failures in QA\QC, but it does help offset some of the problems if Apple is willing to replace or fix machines that have problems.

You are very lucky. I have had major issues with at least one model from every OEM I buy from. Some have heat issues so bad that they'll shut down if they do anything remotely near their limit for more than 30 seconds. (Think Macbook Air core shutdown, but whole computer shutdown.) Apple will fix these issues at the very least while trying to get service from the other OEMs is nothing, but a headache.

You could call them Apple brand PCs now because the components generally aren't any different than those used by Sony or Dell.

If the quality we can expect from other "Mac makers" is the same that we get from Dell, HP, or Acer then I say don't bother. :D

15. rican thread starter macrumors 6502

rican

No no, I would never go back to PC are you nuts??

PC's suck and they always end up screwing up one way or another..

I love Apple and i know computers are not flawless but the amount of problems i've had specifically with my MBP is quite annoying...

I do have apple care, I just extended it in May for another 2 years..

I do plan on getting the new MBP. I do love my MBP

but an iMac as a back up would sound logical at this point.

i should be expecting the computer back around Friday but just the time without the computer is a killer because I am missing out on a lot of stuff, i guess school wise as well...

"/ i still love Apple.. haha