Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I moved from Snow Leopard to Lion recently, and now I have to type in my password every time I want to move or delete any of my files. This wasn't happening in Snow Leopard, what gives? I looked for any obvious security prefererences or the like, and came up empty. How do I make my iMac stop trying to be as annoying as Windows Vista?

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I moved from Snow Leopard to Lion recently, and now I have to type in my password every time I want to move or delete any of my files. This wasn't happening in Snow Leopard, what gives? I looked for any obvious security prefererences or the like, and came up empty. How do I make my iMac stop trying to be as annoying as Windows Vista?

How exactly did you perform the move from SL to Lion? There aren't any basic security preferences you can alter that would allow you to gain access to the files, and Lion doesn't work at all that way. From what it sounds like, the file permissions got screwed up somehow during the upgrade.

I would run Disk Utility and repair permissions. Not 100% certain and I don't recommend it unless absolutely necessary, but you can gain root on Mac OS X and the files should open without you having to type your password. Sorry to hear about your upgrade woes. I'm a big fan of doing a clean install when upgrading.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I doubt running "repair permissions" in Disk Utility will help, but you do seem to have a permission issue.

Do a search on how to use Terminal to reset them. Try a subset of your problem files and see if it helps.

Rob

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I would run Disk Utility and repair permissions.
Repairing permissions won't affect user files.

Where are your files located? Are you running an admin or standard account? Have you checked the permission settings for such files? Right-click on them and "Get Info".

Troubleshooting permissions issues in Mac OS X

Last edited:

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Thanks all for your input!

I upgraded via the app store, replacing my old OS with the new one.

I don't have issues opening files, just moving or deleting them.

In the info-panes, I have permission to do anything I want.

The files in question are, well, all of them! I have to type in my password to move or delete any file, anywhere, and this doesn't seem normal. Desktop. Applications folder. Root on an external harddrive. You name it. Not the end of the world, but very, very annoying.

----------

I doubt running "repair permissions" in Disk Utility will help, but you do seem to have a permission issue.

Do a search on how to use Terminal to reset them. Try a subset of your problem files and see if it helps.

Rob

Yeah, I'll take a look into this. Terminal spooks me a bit, but I used to work the magic back in the DOS days, so let's see how it goes. Thanks!

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Thanks all for your input!

I upgraded via the app store, replacing my old OS with the new one.

I don't have issues opening files, just moving or deleting them.

In the info-panes, I have permission to do anything I want.

The files in question are, well, all of them! I have to type in my password to move or delete any file, anywhere, and this doesn't seem normal. Desktop. Applications folder. Root on an external harddrive. You name it. Not the end of the world, but very, very annoying.

----------

Yeah, I'll take a look into this. Terminal spooks me a bit, but I used to work the magic back in the DOS days, so let's see how it goes. Thanks!

Have you tried resetting your home folder permissions?

1. Restart Lion, and before you hear the chime, hold down the Command and R keys.

2. You’ll be at the Repair Utilities screen. Click the Utilities item in the Menu Bar, then click Terminal.

3. In the Terminal window, type resetpassword and hit Return.

4. The password reset utility window launches, but you’re not going to reset the password. Instead, click on icon for your Mac’s hard drive at the top. From the dropdown below it, select the user account where you’re having issues.

5. At the bottom of the window, you’ll see an area labeled Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs. Click the Reset button there.

The reset process takes just a couple of minutes. When it’s done, exit the programs you’ve opened and restart your Mac.

It's worth a try.
Source:https://discussions.apple.com/message/15734265#15734265

GGJStudios said:
Repairing permissions won't affect user files.

It wouldn't do any harm not to at least try.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
I tried to verify/repair permissions via disk utility, and have looked at various other settings. No dice.

I have a lurking suspicion that it has something to do with the fact the I changed my AppleID recently. The permissions for files are set as read/write with my old handle. I'll look into it.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Weird. Fixed, but weird.

All, thanks for all the great advice and tips. I fixed my problem. And a few more in the process!

I always thought it was strange that when I deleted things, the trash would never fill or change appearance. I assumed that stuff was being auto-deleted. Hmmm. For the last two years.

Well, I can't follow what I did, because I didn't leave any bread crumbs, but here's what happened:

I right clicked on my HDD, 'get info'. Added admin with read/write, applied to enclosed files/folders. Wait a long time. Suddenly get wadded up papers in my trash can! Right click trashcan, empty trash, 'emptying 204,xxx items'. What?!? Okay.

So now, I have 107GB:eek: more room on my drive than I did, and I can move/drag/delete with no annoying popups.

:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.