Tired of waiting for refresh mbp

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AluminumMB, Jan 27, 2010.

1. AluminumMB macrumors regular

Since a refresh was not announced, I am going to go ahead and buy a MBP. Too bad the MBP has a TN panel as opposed to a IPS panel. Nonetheless, I will probably go out and finance one because I am tired of using the basement PC.

Considered iPad (lol funny name) but not very functional for what I need, plus I already got the smaller version of it (i.e. iPhone).

2. BRyken macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been waiting three weeks since I sold my original MBP 17" and I'm taking an online class right now, which, ipso facto, I need a computer for (my own damn fault, to much faith in Apple I guess). I'm really disappointed they didn't update them today.

3. gnomeisland macrumors 6502

I too was hoping but not surprised. Don't want anything overshadowed by the underwhelming awe of the iPad. If you can hold off they will be coming out with updates soon, but prob not shipping until mid Feb

4. gothamm macrumors 6502a

i thought mbp's had ips panels?

5. fairyliquidizer macrumors newbie

Do you think they will wait for an event to refresh the MBPs or will they just stealth out a minor update?

I was also hoping for an update although it's the 13" MBP that I am interested in.

6. dont24 macrumors regular

I suspect a silent update, since it'll most likely be a processor upgrade. I'm in the same boat. Sick of waiting for a new 13" MBP. I may hit the local Apple store this weekend. What the concensus? 20% increase in cpu? For what the wife and I will be using it for, the entry level 13" MBP will take care of our needs. ( web surfing, email, facebook, etc.. )

7. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

Just bought one

I was also sick of waiting. I hated to give in and give Apple money without having a refresh, but I've been waiting since Christmas. Just a few minutes ago, I went ahead and purchased the low-end 13 inch from Amazon for $1108 and an additional 4GB RAM from Crucial for $107...pretty good deal without tax. I also signed up for Amazon Prime trial so I could get overnight shipping for a song and a dance.

Amazon does have a 30 day return policy (with 15% restocking fee), so if something amazing comes out in the next 30 days, I guess I have options at least...:cool:

8. gri macrumors 6502a

gri

and the ugly duckling?

Any ideas about an update to the MBA? Waiting for some time now (want 4G RAM) and don't know what to do now. Unfortunately for me I don't need it urgently (have a 3 year old MBP) but the MBP is getting old and it seems heavier each travel...

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

same boat here.

Still, I will wait since I have already waited a month and I don't REALLY need it. If it isn't all that big of a jump I will snag a current model for even less :D

10. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I concur :D
    I checked the Apple website around 11Am (pst) and the ipad wasn't up but I just recently checked and they've got a whole layout already lol. HMM!!! if all else fails...im gna get an alienware m11x :] <3333

11. Spyharpy macrumors member

Spyharpy

I'd wait if I were you. Take a look at the Buyer's Guide on this site or click here. If you look at the update history, it's pretty much every eight months. An update is very likely next month or March.

12. maxeman macrumors newbie

The buyer's guide is nice... was not aware of that
    I am in the same boat as everyone else with this update. I would be sick if I spent all that money on a MBP and then a month later, they refreshed. I gotta wait.

13. macmymac macrumors newbie

mac pro

Can Somebody tell me if the SSD it makes a huge difrent between 7200 and 5400?
    and if its worth it 600$????
    thx

14. ibookman321 macrumors member

yeah, I am in a similar dilemma, I have never had a mac (forget about my username, I signed up when I was going to buy a used ibook... and the ibook is still AWESOME) and my computer is falling apart, I can hardly even watch a youtube video without getting 24 alerts talking about how small my harddrive is... I don't wanna just spend 60 bucks and replace it, because then I would have a whole mess of oth--.....

yeah, I got carried away their... anyways, sense the launch of the ifailpad, er, ipointless, er, ipod giant, er, ipad (sorry, I just think its a pretty bad fail, they could have done better) do you think we will even get an update soon? I got a ruff estimate of 4 weeks before I can get one, do you think it will be updated by then? I really can't stand this computer much longer... but if I had to wait a mere extra week or two, I would do it for an upgrade of a computer that I am going to have for a few years...

anyways... Trey.

15. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

It does, but doing the upgrade yourself is far cheaper.

And let me break out my violin for the rest of you. :cool:

>>> anyways, sense the launch of the ifailpad, er, ipointless, er, ipod giant, er, ipad (sorry, I just think its a pretty bad fail, they could have done better) <<

ummm, can you point me to the web site of your $50 Billion company you run thats so much smarter?

If this were 3 years ago, instead of spending $1100 on a Macbook for my wife I would have bought her a Pad -- and it would be *perfect* for her needs.

16. ibookman321 macrumors member

no, I am just saying, it looks like a photshoped iphone, apple did not really innovate on it, they should have somehow put OS x on it, can it even multitask?! the iphone is almost understandable, its a phone, but this tablet should have better solutions...

but let's please not turn this into the "iPad sucks... no it doesn't!" thread...

17. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

You started it. =)

18. ibookman321 macrumors member

I don't care who started it! I am gonna finish it! :D

19. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

I just did the SAME thing.