HomePod Tired of waiting for the Homepod...

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Dentifrice, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Dentifrice macrumors 6502

I have a lot of automation in homekit. Everything works so well in with homekit and Siri. Problem is, I want to control by voice and don't want to have my iphone with me all the time in my house. Homepod would be perfect but as most of you know, it's not available in Canada yet.

I even bought Google home in the mean the time but you need IFTTT and stringify to do something useful and I end up creating everything two times (in homekit and IFTTT) so both can do "almost" the same thing.

I just want to use Siri everywhere on my iphone, apple watch and homepod and sell those google home (who don't understand if I don't say the exact wording they want, while Siri always work the first time no matter how I say it).

I have no question. I just had to write down my first world frustration.

2. afir93 macrumors 6502a

If you want/need one right now, have you checked if there's anything good on offer on eBay?

I was in the same situation so I understand your frustration very well, I'm in Germany and was originally intending to wait for the official launch here, but when I saw some good eBay offers from trustable third-party resellers I jumped the gun and got mine last week for 330€. Knowing Apple's most recent conversion rates, I don't think they'll price the HomePod below at least 360-370€ here, possibly even higher, so I even saved a couple dozen € compared to what it will most likely officially cost.

Only "downside" is that it naturally came with an US charger but since the seller put in a travel adapter to use, that's really not an issue for me. Outside of that, there really wasn't a downside to buying the US model (well it doesn't support German language yet but that'll come with a software update and I was mostly gonna use it with English Siri anyway). Even included Apple's own worldwide warranty so in case there are any issues, I could take it into a German Apple store aswell. I don't know for Canada specifically but I'd presume there are similarly good deals for many other countries too?

3. chabig macrumors 603

Pointing out the obvious--your phone doesn't have to be with you to use voice control, it only has to be within voice range. But aside from that, have you considered getting an Apple Watch? It sounds like that would be perfect for you.

4. Dentifrice, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018

Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah problem is it needs to speak French (since my whole family speak French). So it's not supported yet...
    --- Post Merged, Apr 20, 2018 ---
    Yeah I know for the phone but I can't in my case since my phone is controlled my the compagny (MDM) and they disabled Siri when phone is locked....

I have an Apple watch but it's Series 0. It's so slow to make requests that I just gave up.... and it will be no use for the other family members :(

5. ericwn macrumors 68020

I have my doubts that a German store will service a device they don’t sell in the country. Maybe it changes once the product launches.

I believe the warranty is not world wide but only extends to locations where Apple actually operates.

6. afir93 macrumors 6502a

The HomePod is scheduled for official launch here in Germany "within spring" (according to Apple) so it should be officially available within the next ~2 months. Maybe they won't service it in the very unlikely case that it breaks for me tomorrow and I bring it in right then, but after it has officially launched, I don't think that would be an issue? At least, I've always read that Apple's warranty is generally international, is that not the case?

To be clear, Apple does operate here in Germany, they have many stores and authorized resellers here. I suppose I could check via the Apple support sites if German stores show up here as possible locations for bringing it in.

7. ericwn macrumors 68020

You’ll most likely be ok once the HomePod launches with regards to service. I’m aware that Apple has its own retail stores and ASPs in Germany that will service any device on sale in the country, I only wanted to point out that service might take a while before available (product launch) and that the warranty isn’t worldwide as Apple isn’t represented in every country.

Hope the HomePod is a great experience for you!

8. afir93 macrumors 6502a

Ah ok, that makes sense. Thank you!

9. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

Finally !
    Just got my Homepod at local Apple Store in Canada ! They told me I was the first one to buy it in my city and I had an official handshake from the manager and some employees (lol). I don't usually wait in front of stores before opening...well that was fun.

Can't wait to replace my Google home tonight !

10. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

Seems like you surprised them. They never expected anyone to to line up for it.

11. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I was not alone !
    My buddy was the first last year for the Apple watch series 3 LTE and had the same thing plus a picture with them...

12. BlankStar macrumors 6502

BlankStar

Hope you got two, they sound awesome in stereo ;-)

13. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

I may buy a white one to have some contrast !