Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
This is my first Mac Laptop, I have a 24" Imac (Love it).

1.)Now I will immediately upgrade the memory, should I just get the ram at the Apple store or just hit Bestbuy on the way home?
1b.)If I don't get it at the apple store can i go above 4GB total? (6/8 GB? or is 4GB the absolute max?)

2.) If the New Pro's come out in the next 14 days I can return it (with restock) for any reason correct?

dnkbro

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
If you can live without the ram for a couple of days, I'd definitely suggest buying it online from Newegg or Amazon and pay significantly less than you would retail. This is coming from someone who works at Best Buy.

jonpwnz

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2009
Seattle, WA
wait on ram

I would say to hold off on the RAM upgrade because if you have 4 gigs it really isn't practical yet to have 8. yes you can upgrade to 6 or 8

and yeah thats the rule you can return it up to 14 days after the original purchase date. and yes the day you buy it counts as a day.

Buy it from newegg or frys. save some money

p.s I dont think the new macbook pros will be coming out in the next 14 days anyway, it might not be for another 90 days. They seem to want to focus on the iPad. Plus this is a huge product launch and they like to kind of space out big launches like the iphone and macbook I mean if you buy an iPad you most likely wont want to buy the new macbook the same day. get me? it just wouldnt be smart:apple:

archre

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2010
Is it really cheaper to buy & upgrade the RAM yourself?

I can get a base model 13" MBP with additional 2GB RAM from the Apple Online Store for an additional amount of 84.49 €.
If I'd buy an unupgraded MBP, I'd need to buy 4GB because all two slots are used by the basic 2 GB (2 1GB modules). The pricing for 2x2GB modules starts at 75€, with additional costs for shipping it's almost the price for the upgrade from the apple store.
Of course you will have one bonus 2GB module that you don't need, but I've read you should restore your Mac to its default condition if a repair is needed, so you won't be able to sell it.

Endrance

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
if u want to buy it from apple store u might go with some EDU discount if u know any student / teacher, so u'd save lots of money

many ppl like to upgrade the ram themself as it's cheaper, but since i do not personally own one myself yet ( waiting for the upgrade LOL ) i don't know how far u'll be under warranty when inserting ram yourself.

If u have the money anyways, u can just go with the EDU store or any other discount store.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
I think that lately the cost Apple charges for RAM upgrades are pretty decent. In sweden we're talking like $15-20 more then buying the ram would cost to have it from Apple. Add a bit of shipping and the difference is even less, and with the student discount even less.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Don't bother with anything more than 4 GB at the moment. There are very few uses where you'd benefit from that much RAM. It's definitely in the "if you don't know you need it, you definitely don't need it" area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.