Tired of waiting, ordering MBP tonight

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bchamorro, Jan 15, 2008.

  1. bchamorro macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2007
    #1
    I've been waiting for mroe than 3 months for a computer (currently using the one at my college's computer lab) and I am going to order a MBP tonight. My last wait was going to be Mac World 08, and im dissapointed that there were no updates.

    Am I making the right move?
     
  2. Schmoe0013 macrumors regular

    Schmoe0013

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    Location:
    Minneapolis, USA
  3. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

    dante@sisna.com

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2006
    #3

    Sure. You need it. Get it.

    No major updates are coming any time soon.

    If minor updates come, they will make very little difference in your day to day use.
     
  4. bchamorro thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2007
    #4
    Mac World 08 has not ended, so is it possible for apple to throw in a blue ray or the perynn before or on the 18th?
     
  5. sportsnut macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Location:
    Michigan
    #5

    0% chance
     
  6. Jammy1254 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    #6
    Mbp

    Can i ask why you/people think theres a 0% chance? :) .
     
  7. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

    pulsewidth947

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2005
    Location:
    squarefrog.co.uk
    #7
    YES.

    Seriously. I bought one last week. Thats right. A week before MWSF. Know why? Because otherwise I'd be waiting forever. The current MBPs are good machines. They wont struggle for a few years, and by that time something even better will be out. You could wait for a supposed silent update of penryn chips, but why not get it now and be happy?
     
  8. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

    dante@sisna.com

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2006
    #8
    I guess it could; it just makes no sense to me.

    Apple would have done this today, I think.

    Who knows.
     
  9. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

    ArmyKnight12

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2007
    Location:
    Here
    #9
    Trust me, the MBP is an awesome machine. :apple: Enjoy.
     
  10. AirborneAngel macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #10
    Yes, if you have the money to purchase a MBP go for it, don't wait for the Air bro....it's not worth it.
     
  11. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    #11
    Apple might be anouncing something tommorow at this Final Cut conference, so I would give it a 5% chance of an update by the end of Macworld. I am probably gonna order a 2.6ghz MBP tommorow if nothing happens. If the rumors of Penryn being delayed til the end of Feburary-March are really true, then I wouldn't be surprised if Apple dosen't update the MBP's til May when the new chipset is going to be released. Also, I suspect that the next update to the MBP will be a case redesign with the addition of the MBA's Keyboard. Could very well look the same case wise but with user replaceable HDD, magnetic hatch, and the new keyboard.
     
  12. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    #12
    Do it. I got my MBP in August 2006 and have never looked back. Still a very powerful machine and NEVER crashes or does anything unexpected or stupid like my PC at work.

    Have fun and enjoy it when it arrives!
     
  13. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 7, 2007
    Location:
    New York, NY
  14. Stitzu macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2006
    #14
    Just dooo ittttt :D I was in the same situation when buying my MBP but gave up on waiting and just bought it and it's just great :D Sooner or later there is always going to be something newer and better released than what you've bought and there's not really anything you can do about it. Technology is always changing and improving ;)
     
  15. wentwj macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    #15
    I'll be buying a MacBook Pro in approximately two weeks. I haven't really been waiting for it, I had been waiting on the Mac Pro, but after some car issues decided getting a new car was a more imminent concern. Which put me in the position of wanting something heftier than my MacBook to work on, so... after selling my MacBook I'll be picking up the MacBook Pro (flirted with the idea of the MBA and living with the underpowered-ness until I got my desktop, but I ultimately realized the flaw in that logic. Though seemingly against the standard here I still like the MBA).

    I know an update is imminent but I don't really care. Though personally I have gotten attached to the keyboard on the MacBook, so I'd love if they made a MacBook Pro with the keyboard and similar style to the MBA... but I sorta doubt that'll happen anytime soon.
     
  16. Batt macrumors 65816

    Batt

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2007
    Location:
    Syracuse, NY
    #16
    Oh, the MBP keyboard is really, really nice. I've got a new wireless kb at work which I love, but I like the MBP kb better. You'll adjust.
     
  17. TaylorB macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2006
    #17
    I say go ahead with it. I ordered another MBP today to replace this one that I recently purchased. Sure, I would have loved to see a new MBP introduced today (or significant upgrades) but it didn't happen. Unless it is some completely new MBP that they are trying to save for after MacWorld (I don't think so..) then go right ahead. You will feel fine and confident in your choice when it is in your hands. :)
     
  18. akadmon macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    Location:
    New England
    #18
    It's because of weaklings like you that the rest of us are suffering :mad:

    Show some spine -- don't order the current MBP. Better yet, order a Dell. This way the rest of us can get the new MBP faster :D
     
  19. dcp063 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2007
    #19
    done waiting...

    I'm with the OP,i'm done waiting...i'm ordering this when i get home at 4am(see below) and maxing it out with 4gb of ram(from newegg)...and buying a wacom tablet...and Mstand...and logitech bluetooth mouse.

    Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    15.4-inch widescreen display
    2GB memory
    120GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB of GDDR3 memory
    Built-in iSight Camera
    Learn More
     
  20. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

    pulsewidth947

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2005
    Location:
    squarefrog.co.uk
    #20
    *applauds* :) I recently bought a refurb, and this is about the 7th post I've done stating how utterly satisfied I am with Apples Refurb policy.
     
  21. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

    Twe Foju

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2007
    Location:
    Jakarta
    #21
    yes, how long are you planning to wait? there you go, you have waited 3 months and no new updates

    let say you are gonna wait for the new MBP for say, another 1-2 months?

    and IF it did release, then you buy 1, and in the mid year, another updates comes again

    what you gonna do? :D

    and i'll say again, the current MBP are already the greatest laptop there is now

    welcome to the tech world, where updates never ends :D
     
  22. evilyankeefan macrumors regular

    evilyankeefan

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2007
    #22
    Ordered my 15" 2.4GHz MBP yesterday and it already shipped. Ordering OWC RAM this morning. If I'm lucky I get both on Friday and if a silent update still occurs at MW, I can return it.

    Either way, I consider myself in a win-win situation. The stress over going back and forth isn't worth it at all.
     
  23. mhml92 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2008
    #23
  24. Creibold macrumors regular

    Creibold

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2006
    #24
    YES, for the love of God stop second guessing yourself people. When ever you by a mac your making a right choice, regardless.
     
  25. macenforcer macrumors 65816

    macenforcer

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2004
    Location:
    Colorado
    #25
    I think the problem the OP has is the same problem I have with the macbook pro. Its not that great. Sure it looks nice and has the right ports and specs but we just want a little more out of it and with apples policy of no news about updates we keep thinking that it will be changed to our liking any day now and we keep waiting and waiting and still nothing. So we figure ok, I am just gonna buy it then when we get down to the store to pay we think to ourselves, "What if its updated in 16 days from now" then we figure we can wait 16 days and don't buy and then the cycle continues.

    I would buy it now but I want some stuff and if that stuff comes right after I plop down $2K I will be sick.

    What stuff?

    - Removable drive bay for one
    - New hinge
    - New latch
    - multitouch trackpad
    - Penryn
    - easily upgradeable HD
    - more vram in video card
    - Cellular connectivity

    I would love these things and sure enough if I buy today this will come out just after my return policy expires. Easier to wait I guess.
     

Share This Page