Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bchamorro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
I've been waiting for mroe than 3 months for a computer (currently using the one at my college's computer lab) and I am going to order a MBP tonight. My last wait was going to be Mac World 08, and im dissapointed that there were no updates.

Am I making the right move?

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
I've been waiting for mroe than 3 months for a computer (currently using the one at my college's computer lab) and I am going to order a MBP tonight. My last wait was going to be Mac World 08, and im dissapointed that there were no updates.

Sure. You need it. Get it.

No major updates are coming any time soon.

If minor updates come, they will make very little difference in your day to day use.

bchamorro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Mac World 08 has not ended, so is it possible for apple to throw in a blue ray or the perynn before or on the 18th?

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
YES.

Seriously. I bought one last week. Thats right. A week before MWSF. Know why? Because otherwise I'd be waiting forever. The current MBPs are good machines. They wont struggle for a few years, and by that time something even better will be out. You could wait for a supposed silent update of penryn chips, but why not get it now and be happy?

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Apple might be anouncing something tommorow at this Final Cut conference, so I would give it a 5% chance of an update by the end of Macworld. I am probably gonna order a 2.6ghz MBP tommorow if nothing happens. If the rumors of Penryn being delayed til the end of Feburary-March are really true, then I wouldn't be surprised if Apple dosen't update the MBP's til May when the new chipset is going to be released. Also, I suspect that the next update to the MBP will be a case redesign with the addition of the MBA's Keyboard. Could very well look the same case wise but with user replaceable HDD, magnetic hatch, and the new keyboard.

kevinliu4

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
Do it. I got my MBP in August 2006 and have never looked back. Still a very powerful machine and NEVER crashes or does anything unexpected or stupid like my PC at work.

Have fun and enjoy it when it arrives!

Stitzu

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006

Just dooo ittttt :D I was in the same situation when buying my MBP but gave up on waiting and just bought it and it's just great :D Sooner or later there is always going to be something newer and better released than what you've bought and there's not really anything you can do about it. Technology is always changing and improving ;)

wentwj

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
I'll be buying a MacBook Pro in approximately two weeks. I haven't really been waiting for it, I had been waiting on the Mac Pro, but after some car issues decided getting a new car was a more imminent concern. Which put me in the position of wanting something heftier than my MacBook to work on, so... after selling my MacBook I'll be picking up the MacBook Pro (flirted with the idea of the MBA and living with the underpowered-ness until I got my desktop, but I ultimately realized the flaw in that logic. Though seemingly against the standard here I still like the MBA).

I know an update is imminent but I don't really care. Though personally I have gotten attached to the keyboard on the MacBook, so I'd love if they made a MacBook Pro with the keyboard and similar style to the MBA... but I sorta doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
. . . Though personally I have gotten attached to the keyboard on the MacBook, so I'd love if they made a MacBook Pro with the keyboard and similar style to the MBA... but I sorta doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

Oh, the MBP keyboard is really, really nice. I've got a new wireless kb at work which I love, but I like the MBP kb better. You'll adjust.

TaylorB

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2006

I say go ahead with it. I ordered another MBP today to replace this one that I recently purchased. Sure, I would have loved to see a new MBP introduced today (or significant upgrades) but it didn't happen. Unless it is some completely new MBP that they are trying to save for after MacWorld (I don't think so..) then go right ahead. You will feel fine and confident in your choice when it is in your hands. :)

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
It's because of weaklings like you that the rest of us are suffering :mad:

Show some spine -- don't order the current MBP. Better yet, order a Dell. This way the rest of us can get the new MBP faster :D

dcp063

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
done waiting...

I'm with the OP,i'm done waiting...i'm ordering this when i get home at 4am(see below) and maxing it out with 4gb of ram(from newegg)...and buying a wacom tablet...and Mstand...and logitech bluetooth mouse.

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
15.4-inch widescreen display
2GB memory
120GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB of GDDR3 memory
Built-in iSight Camera
Learn More

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
I'm with the OP,i'm done waiting...i'm ordering this when i get home at 4am(see below) and maxing it out with 4gb of ram(from newegg)...and buying a wacom tablet...and Mstand...and logitech bluetooth mouse.

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
15.4-inch widescreen display
2GB memory
120GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB of GDDR3 memory
Built-in iSight Camera
Learn More

*applauds* :) I recently bought a refurb, and this is about the 7th post I've done stating how utterly satisfied I am with Apples Refurb policy.

Twe Foju

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2007
Jakarta

yes, how long are you planning to wait? there you go, you have waited 3 months and no new updates

let say you are gonna wait for the new MBP for say, another 1-2 months?

and IF it did release, then you buy 1, and in the mid year, another updates comes again

what you gonna do? :D

and i'll say again, the current MBP are already the greatest laptop there is now

welcome to the tech world, where updates never ends :D

evilyankeefan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2007
Ordered my 15" 2.4GHz MBP yesterday and it already shipped. Ordering OWC RAM this morning. If I'm lucky I get both on Friday and if a silent update still occurs at MW, I can return it.

Either way, I consider myself in a win-win situation. The stress over going back and forth isn't worth it at all.

Creibold

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
YES, for the love of God stop second guessing yourself people. When ever you by a mac your making a right choice, regardless.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
I think the problem the OP has is the same problem I have with the macbook pro. Its not that great. Sure it looks nice and has the right ports and specs but we just want a little more out of it and with apples policy of no news about updates we keep thinking that it will be changed to our liking any day now and we keep waiting and waiting and still nothing. So we figure ok, I am just gonna buy it then when we get down to the store to pay we think to ourselves, "What if its updated in 16 days from now" then we figure we can wait 16 days and don't buy and then the cycle continues.

I would buy it now but I want some stuff and if that stuff comes right after I plop down $2K I will be sick.

What stuff?

- Removable drive bay for one
- New hinge
- New latch
- multitouch trackpad
- Penryn
- easily upgradeable HD
- more vram in video card
- Cellular connectivity

I would love these things and sure enough if I buy today this will come out just after my return policy expires. Easier to wait I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.