Tired of windows and seriously considering the switch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacChinoNyc, Oct 29, 2013.

1. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

Windows 8 did it for me and I need a replacement laptop soon. So my uses of course browsing, videos, occasional coding and even reading ebooks. I feel as though with a new macbook pro I can get more into photography and video editing.

I hear installing browser plugins to view hd content is not so user friendly on the mac os I hear but my main concern is regarding remote desktop connection which I occasionally use for work over a vpn in windows. How does one accomplish this in the mac os? Would I have to install windows on a VM and would it work? Or would I have to install windows via bootcamp? I plan on using VM occasionally. I'll assume this is a ram hog on the mac os?

I'm also not sure if going for the $2599 15inch version mainly for the dGPU upgrade or just stick with the base $1999 model?

Btw, plan on doing little to no gaming as I rather do that on a console.

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

You don't need a dGPU for your uses.

What is the name of your remote desktop client and how do you connect to VPN?

3. zeale macrumors newbie

I made the switch in July to a new Macbook Air and loved it so much that I just upgraded to the Pro yesterday. I'm passing the Air to my wife to rid my house of Windows entirely. I think it's worth the switch!

Regarding which one to buy, go to the Mac Store for Education and you can save $200 off the top-end one (making it $2399). It's still pricey, but that extra amount also gives you a ~15% processor speed boost, 256 GB additional flash space, 8 GB more RAM and discrete graphics on top of the on-board. I decided that it was a big enough all-around upgrade to be worth the price difference. If you're already going to be spending so much on a high-end laptop, why not get one that will last 1-2 more years between upgrades?

As far as running Windows goes, you can use Boot Camp along with Parallels to have pretty much any Windows applications running and being used alongside your OSX software. It's pretty amazing!

4. MacChinoNyc thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm using the remote desktop connection which comes with windows, and I'm connecting to a windows machine at work. Is there a built in remote desktop client in mac that would allow me to connect to a windows machine? The vpn client is cisco anyconnect secure mobility client.

If I could use the educational discount I would definitely go for the high end but not a student at the moment? What about state/govt discounts, I think it should work too.

I know I may not need the highest spec'ed 15" but being in the tech industry I'd like to have somewhat of a futureproof laptop