Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ttomm46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2019
Arkansas
Every since I've started using windows 10 my disgust has been growing..Updates that take forever and other niggles..It seems that using windows is a real chore now so I've been thinking mac ....

I thought since I've hit 73 I'm getting dumber...Anyone like me out there and any recommendations ?
thanks
Tom

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Every since I've started using windows 10 my disgust has been growing..Updates that take forever and other niggles..It seems that using windows is a real chore now so I've been thinking mac ....

I thought since I've hit 73 I'm getting dumber...Anyone like me out there and any recommendations ?
thanks
Tom
I definitely recommend a switch to Mac. I made the transition about 11 years ago and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I definitely do not miss Windows in any way. There are plenty of resources at Apple.com and in this forum to help you, should you need it.

Reactions: nouveau_redneck

nbnbxdnb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
I think Windows 10 is already much better that its predecessors. But I also don't like the auto update "feature", granted...
Mac can be easier. But I also heard many people talked about the Learning curve initially.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I was a PC/Windows user for over 40 years and switched over to the iMac about 5 years ago. The two biggest things I noticed when switching is Windows is upper right and lower left (though Windows is starting to copy the Dock) whereas MacOS X is upper left and the Dock to do things. Once you get that down the learning curve isn't that bad. However, I am a little rusty when it comes to using Windows even after having all those years of using that operating system. Though it still beats using DOS! :D

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Windows 10 is in fact a great operating system. MacOS is fine as well, but you have to get used to it. Windows can be annoying at times, but so can be MacOS. There is no perfect system, I guess.

My father tried MacOS and did not like it. My sister uses it as well as Windows and has no preference. Some friends of mine prefer MacOS as they like the interface and the integration with hardware; others prefer Windows as it is better for a work environment and has a better version of Microsoft Office.

In the past, you could say that one was really better than the other. Now, both are very good, really good, and choosing one over the other is a matter of personal taste.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you want to try the Mac OS, well... come on over.

IMPORTANT:
If you do buy a Mac, GET ONE WITH AN SSD INSIDE.
The OS "needs the speed" of an SSD to perform properly.
I believe there are still some iMacs being sold with platter-based hard drives inside, and these will be almost-unbearably SLOW.

If you already have a display, a USB keyboard and a USB mouse that you like, the 2018 Mac Mini might be a good choice. Just plug in the peripherals you already use.

Also, if you get a Mini, pay the $200 extra for 16gb of RAM (instead of 8).
It will run better, longer.

I'd buy the i5 Mini, but folks seem ok with the i3 version.

A 256gb SSD will get the job done, but you'll probably want external USB3 storage as well.
Same for the 512gb SSD.

My advice is DON'T pay Apple's high premium for the 1tb SSD -- not worth it (at least to me).

You can save a little $$$ by buying from Apple's online refurbished store. The items look like new, and come with the same 1-year warranty as new ones.

Reactions: janitor3

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I was a PC/Windows user for over 40 years and switched over to the iMac about 5 years ago.
That would indicate you started using PC/Windows about 45 years ago. That's a neat trick, considering the IBM PC was introduced in August of 1981, less than 38 years ago, and it only ran DOS. Windows was introduced in November of 1985, just over 33 years ago. :confused:

Reactions: MandiMac

ttomm46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2019
Arkansas
I definitely recommend a switch to Mac. I made the transition about 11 years ago and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I definitely do not miss Windows in any way. There are plenty of resources at Apple.com and in this forum to help you, should you need it.
Went and got an Imac...Everything works like it's supposed to..

Reactions: old-wiz

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Went and got an Imac...Everything works like it's supposed to..
Congratulations! If you need any help, this forum is a great resource. Pretty much any question you may have has likely been asked and answered many times before, so if you search in this forum, you can usually find answers in seconds. Good luck!

oskhenn

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2019
The most awful thing with Windows 10 is the auto-update. it happens from time to time and might get the computer stuck at the upgrade process forever

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
The most awful thing with Windows 10 is the auto-update. it happens from time to time and might get the computer stuck at the upgrade process forever

I hate the automatic update, especially when it does not let you turn off the computer because it takes forever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.