Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Titanfall, the multiplayer first-person shooter developed by Respawn Entertainment exclusively for Windows, Xbox 360, and Xbox One, may be coming to the Mac in the future.

In a post on Twitter last night (via Polygon), Respawn Entertainment co-founder Vince Zampella said the company is in talks with Mac game publisher Aspyr over possibly bringing Titanfall to Mac. "We are talking to Aspyr," he told a fan asking about a Mac version. "They should do it."

Back in February, Zampella expressed similar sentiments, telling fans that he would like to see a Mac version happen after the game launched for Xbox and PC on March 11.

In Titanfall, players fight in six-vs-six online multiplayer matches, controlling mech-style Titans and pilots to complete team-based objectives. The game won more than 60 awards when it was revealed at E3 and has received largely positive reviews.
Crafted by one of the co-creators of Call of Duty and other key developers behind the Call of Duty franchise, Titanfall is among the most highly anticipated games of 2014, having been shrouded in mystery for nearly three years. The visionaries at Respawn have drawn inspiration from their proven experience in first-person action gaming, and are building on that pedigree by taking a new approach to game design and creating an all-new universe with Titanfall.
Aspyr has published multiple major gaming titles for the Mac, including Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands 2, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, and more. There is no word on when a Mac version of Titanfall might be released.

Article Link: Titanfall Creators in Talks With Aspyr, Mac Version May Be in the Works

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Bring it please!

However, isn't this an Origin exclusive title? I thought EA was adamant about distributing their games only through their service and not through anywhere else?

Would this be a new method where Aspyr makes the Mac version but EA keeps it on Origin?

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
credit for pc version

I bought the pc version and currently play it in bootcamp but obviously I would prefer a mac version. I wonder if I will be able to download the mac version for free since I purchased the pc version?

And yes this game is a blast to play, the movement is spectacular

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2014
Have the PC version on Bootcamp, just waiting until tomorrow to be able to play (UK).

That said, if a Mac version comes, and by that I mean a proper job, not some half-assed port, then I would buy again, simply to support Mac gaming. There needs to be more of a push in this area.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Am playing it now under boot camp, it really is fun!! Having this under osx would definitely make me play it more frequently on the future!!

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I think it doesn't feel like Call of Duty. The pacing of the game feels different and refreshing.

It feels like the infinity ward COD games when they were good. Not the crap COD games that have come out the last few years. But I agree the pacing is good, the maps are great and I love the robot play.

i just wish I was better when I am a pilot with just a gun ha.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I bought the pc version and currently play it in bootcamp but obviously I would prefer a mac version. I wonder if I will be able to download the mac version for free since I purchased the pc version?

And yes this game is a blast to play, the movement is spectacular

If it's distrusted through Origin, then through their policy, then the Mac version should be free automatically. It was for my copy of Dragon Age ultimate.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Great news, in my opinion. Mac gaming has been getting better and better over the last few years, much of which is thanks to Aspyr doing such a good job. It's great that many major titles are coming out either at the same time as on PC or not that long after. For example, Tomb Raider (2013) and Metro: Last Light run surprisingly well, and The Elder Scrolls Online has a brilliant native client ready for launch.

I finally ditched Boot Camp last year and I haven't had any desire to reinstall Windows. All the major games I want to play are either on Mac or PlayStation, which is perfect for me.

I know Aspyr has some staff who hang around the forums, so if you see this, thanks a lot for being the driving force behind Mac gaming!

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
possibly blasphemy, but...

...what controllers do you all use?

I'm not a M+K fan for gaming. I would buy Titanfall on Mac if it could feel like a console experience.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
this is where gaming developers bug me.

Why is there a necessity to outsource a port? why can't they develop along side the main teams. This has been the sole reason mac gaming has never been taken seriously by apple or the gamers. Why make a community wait 6 months to a year to play a game everyone else is already finished playing? give the gamers a proper machine you can use for gaming at a reasonable price like a mac mini/pro format with gamers in mind? give the developers a reason to add Mac OS X the original release date.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
I've wondered about this too!

I assume it's simply a situation of the developers hired by the big firms not having any real experience coding for Mac? But surely they all had to learn how to code for the XBox and the Playstation as well as Windows PC. Mac OS X has been around a lot longer than even the last generation of consoles -- so it seems like it'd be worth learning to code on one.

Except for Blizzard though, almost nobody seems to seriously work at releasing for Mac and other platforms simultaneously.

Why is there a necessity to outsource a port? why can't they develop along side the main teams. This has been the sole reason mac gaming has never been taken seriously by apple or the gamers. Why make a community wait 6 months to a year to play a game everyone else is already finished playing? give the gamers a proper machine you can use for gaming at a reasonable price like a mac mini/pro format with gamers in mind? give the developers a reason to add Mac OS X the original release date.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
However, isn't this an Origin exclusive title? I thought EA was adamant about distributing their games only through their service and not through anywhere else?

Would this be a new method where Aspyr makes the Mac version but EA keeps it on Origin?

They'd probably just release it on Origin for Mac. I don't know that this would be a new model or anything. EA publishes their own games and games developed by other companies. Titanfall by Aspyr would be a little of both.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
I thought Microsoft locked up Titanfall as an exclusive for PC, Xbox One, and Xbox 360 which is why it's not coming to PS3/PS4? It's interesting that they either never thought of excluding Mac in their contract or they are willing to relax it to allow a Mac version.

Besides the likelihood of lack of Mac experience, Respawn also has limited resources in general, which is why even the XBox 360 version was outsourced to Bluepoint Games.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006

Well, Origin is available for Mac, but having one of their games not ported in-house would really be something new.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I wish apple cared about Mac gaming more. And made a computer with a gaming desktop card.

On current gen models it's: integrated gpu, mobile gpu, or workstation gpu that wasn't made for games.

iOS is the leader in mobile gaming too

Come on Apple!

cylack

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
Mac gaming

What ever happened to Apple gaming? Growing up using an Apple iie and then a IIgs, gaming was great. Tons of new games came out. Then in the 90’s on it seemed gaming died on Apple pc's. I think Jobs felt gaming was silly. I hope Tim Cook realizes its a great market to serve and makes gaming a priority. I want to see..gasp..Mac exclusive games (remember Marathon?), not crappy Cider ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.