Titanium PowerBook G4 Question!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MattG, Oct 16, 2008.

1. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I recently acquired a 15" TiBook from someone who no longer wanted it. He took good care of it and with the exception of a few slight surface scratches, it looks practically new.

That being said...it won't turn on!! :(

My question is -- does the battery need to be good for the unit to turn on, even if you've got it plugged into A/C power? The amber light on the plug comes on as if it's charging, and it never goes off. When I hit the little indicator button on the battery, nothing lights up. It would seem quite obviously that the battery is bad, but would that stop the unit from running off of wall power?

If it's just a bad battery I'll gladly buy a new one, just wanted to check before I waste my money!

2. mcdermd macrumors regular

mcdermd

It could be as simple as a dead pram battery. I don't know about those early G4 Powerbooks, but many a dead G3 Pismo has that problem. Leave it plugged in for an hour or two and try to start it. If it still doesn't start, the PRAM battery may not be taking a charge. Newertech sells new ones: http://www.newertech.com/products/pram_ti.php (and instructions on getting to it) . With the G3 Pismos you can disconnect the dead PRAM battery's lead from the logic board and it will start right up. You may want to try that first.

Or it could be a dead logic board.

3. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Excellent...I'll try the battery to start. Doesn't look so difficult to get to. Thanks!

4. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

You get a gold star -- ordered the battery, all better!

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

6. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

That's pretty cool.

I already ordered a new back-cover for it, since the one on there is really dinged up. My CD drive isn't working right now, because I think I didn't put it back together quite right after replacing that battery...going to try again tonight :) Then I'm going to install Tiger!

7. mcdermd macrumors regular

mcdermd

That's great. Glad I could help out.